Damaged Motorcycle Plate Replacement?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

numnumcook

Damaged Motorcycle Plate Replacement?

Unread post by numnumcook »

Greetings,

My motorcycle licence plate was damaged in an accident, and though it is mostly cosmetic and could still be used if I flatten it out, it will look pretty crappy.

I don't mind paying 20.00 and following the MTO procedures to get it replaced, but wanted to know if will have the same letters/# on it as my damaged one.

I prefer to keep the same plate letter/# but haven't found any info on their site if it be replaced with an entirely new letters/#s or if it will be the same as my currently damaged one.

If anyone knows, please share.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

To the best of my knowledge they would be different plates since they're issued on the spot. Personalized plates can be be replaced, but even then I think you get temporary plates in the interim since they need to be ordered and manufactured.

The Stig

Unread post by The Stig »

On the spot, no you wouldn't be issued the same numbers. If you are so attached to those numbers you can pay to convert those set of numbers to a personalized plate. As was mentioned you would then be issued a "loaner" plate while a new one was punched out in your numbers.

numnumcook

Unread post by numnumcook »

Thanks for the responses folks!

Well I guess I'll just get an entirely new plate as I am not attached to my current plate # enough to pay the $ for a personalized one of the same #. Good idea though for those that may want to.

AsphaltHero

Unread post by AsphaltHero »

If your motorcycle was manufactured in, or before 1973 you could put a YEAR OF MAUFACTURE (YOM) plate on it.

For example, if manufactured in 1963, you could go online or to a flea market a buy an old, used Ontario motorcycle plate from the tear 1963, and then have it register for your motorcycle. I don't think it costs much and some people think it looks cool. Formore info search MTO YOM.