A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Notice Of Offence Versus Certificate Of Offence

by: jsherk on

Ok, so got a "ticket" for talking on my cell phone while driving.

I noticed that the "ticket" is a Notice of Offence which is different from a Certificate of Offence.

QUESTION #1

What is a Certificate of Offence and what's its prupose?

QUESTION #2

When is a Certificate of Offence issued?

Is it issued immediately after they receive the original Notice of Offence from the officer, or do they first wait and see if I respond with Option 1, 2 or 3 on the back before it gets issue?

And if I don't respond at all within 15 days, would they wait until after that 15 days is up before they issue the Certificate of Offence?

QUESTION #3

Is a Certificate of Offence required to set a trial date?

Thanks

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

When I called the court today and asked if the Certificate of Offence was filed yet, they seemed like they did not know what I was talking about and said they "had the original" ... the original would be a Notice of Offence as well since mine is just a copy (and it specifically says right on it Notice of Offense).

So does the officer file something else (along with the original Notice of Offence) that would be considered the Certificate of Offence?

Thanks

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
swontleo

by: swontleo on

The certificate of offence is the original. The ticket is a certificate of offence, with a few carbon copies. The yellow(blue) copy that you receive is called the offence notice it is your copy of the certificate of offence.

So, you have an exact copy already. Minus the evidence on the back which you receive when requesting disclosure.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Okay, so just to confirm, I got copy of original from Court House and it says Certificate of Offence.

So the original that the police keep and file with the court is Certificate of Offence, and the copy the police give you is the Notice of Offence.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply