A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

orillia3

Impeding The Flow Of Traffic On A Highway, What Is Section?

by: orillia3 on

I wish to refute a statement..

The rules of the road state that a cyclist is entitled to use a road but cannot obstruct the flow at speed limit for lengthy periods of time. It also says that a vehicle must give a bicycle 1meter of room when passing.

I know there is no such 1 metre rule in Ontario.

I am familiar with what sections govern the responsibilities of a slower vehicle being passed and the responsibilities of the overtaking vehicle. Sections 148.

I also know that bicycles must keep to the right where practicable (whatever that means). Section 147

However my difficulty is finding the section that governs obstructing the highway, or more accurately obstructing the flow of traffic. I have read about people being charged with such an offense, notably the protester that had him and a friend drive side by side at 100 kph down highway 401. However an extensive search of the internet and the HTA has not yielded the actual section of the HTA involved.

I also doubt there is any requirement of slower traffic to pull over and allow faster traffic to flow.

The only kind of case I remember was an American one in which a cyclist was charged with such an offense, obstructing traffic when he was going at normal bicycle speed, and it was thrown out and the state law changed.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Here's the sections you're looking for...

orillia3 wrote:However my difficulty is finding the section that governs obstructing the highway, or more accurately obstructing the flow of traffic.

Unnecessary slow driving prohibited

132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances.

orillia3 wrote:I also doubt there is any requirement of slower traffic to pull over and allow faster traffic to flow.

That's all covered under section 148, with the duty to pull to the right when being overtaken.

Post a Reply