Driving While Under Suspension [unusual Situation]

masey

Driving While Under Suspension [unusual Situation]

Unread post by masey »

I am a United Kingdom citizen, however, I used to be a Canadian landed immigrant, but lost my status when I moved back to England in 1992. I am presently visiting Canada [Toronto] and was pulled over a couple of weeks ago.

I was informed that my old Canadian license was under suspension for an unpaid fine which dated back to 1992 and was charged for driving under suspension. [ I totally forgot about the fine after I moved back to the UK]. I have a valid United Kingdom International driving license which I showed the officer when I was pulled over.

My Canadian license also expired around 19 years ago. I have since paid off the fine and my court summons date is for the end of June. The last thing I need is to be given a suspension and a hefty fine. Is there any way to fight this or have the fine reduced?.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

The previous record on the Ontario Licence (being suspended) trumps all other licences a person might have outside of Ontario. You say you paid off the fine, now go to the MTO and check the Ontario Licence status, even thou it is well expired, there still could be an outstanding reinstatement fee. Once this fee is paid it will remove the "suspended status" on the Ontario licence, then your UK licence will be good to go

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca