A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Chase

Expired Sticker

by: Chase on

I have an expired sticker from 2009. It's a long story but due to a nasty custody battle, illness where I was off with a disability and being given a $10,000 bill from the CRA I have accumulated about $10,000 in parking tickets.

I tried to see a JOP to get time to pay but she wouldn't even see me so I could explain the situation. I'm not trying to make excuses and I'm not trying to get out of paying them I just want time to pay.

I haven't been able to walk without a cane for about 3 years now. I am in constant agony and can barely walk any distances. Not having my car is absolutely killing me. As it is I will drive from my street to the streetcar and get on there. I should have done this years ago but I've finally got disabled permit for my car so I won't be getting tickets anymore.

I've been stopped twice, the first time she gave me a $110 fine but put on my record that I had a medical condition so I wouldn't get any more fines. I was stopped again and the officer was extremely nice, he said I have no criminal record and to just get it cleared up as soon as possible.

That was about 2 years ago. It's still not cleared up. What's going to happen if I get stopped now. The first officer told me she could have me towed and take my plates. Is this true ?

Any advice at all ?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Chase wrote:I've been stopped twice, the first time she gave me a $110 fine but put on my record that I had a medical condition so I wouldn't get any more fines.

There's no such thing as a record that an officer can note on that you have a medical condition so that you don't get any more fines. The bottom line is, if you have an expired sticker, you can and probably will continue to get stopped and charged. It's unlikely that you would be towed for that offence.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Chase wrote:So where is my motivation to pay at all ?

Traffic tickets (such as expired validation) are different then parking tickets, in that if you fail to pay them, your driver's licence will be suspended. If you're caught driving under suspension, you'll face some pretty serious fines, possible jail time and vehicle impoundment.

I'd make continued efforts to meet with a JP and get on some type of payment plan. You're in a pretty big hole and I give you credit for wanting to dig yourself out.

Chase

Stanton wrote:
Chase wrote:So where is my motivation to pay at all ?

Traffic tickets (such as expired validation) are different then parking tickets, in that if you fail to pay them, your driver's licence will be suspended. If you're caught driving under suspension, you'll face some pretty serious fines, possible jail time and vehicle impoundment.

I'd make continued efforts to meet with a JP and get on some type of payment plan. You're in a pretty big hole and I give you credit for wanting to dig yourself out.

I meant that I pay my traffic tickets and my licence is in good standing but where is my motivation to pay my parking tickets if all I have to do is pay an expired validation traffic every once in awhile.

I'm not trying to get out of paying, I'm just asking why should I pay $10,000 in parking tickets when I can get away with paying $110 for an expired sticker occasionally.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I think the biggest issue would be increased insurance premiums. While it's not considered a serious offence, two convictions will typically result in increased rates. As well, if the police continually catch you driving without a valid plate, they can summons you to Court and request an increased fine.

Chase

Every since I've gotten divorced about 10 years ago I've accumulated about $2000 worth of tickets every year because when my son was younger and being a single Dad I could only drop him off so early but by then parking at the GO was full and I would have to park illegally. It was just a fact and every year I paid them off when I had to. A couple of times I asked for a couple of months to pay them and I was granted it and I paid them.

Then I had to go on short term disability, took a pay cut and spent a LOT of money on therapy all the while parking on the street outside my apartment because my parking spot was down a steep hill and I was in far too much pain to go up it.

So I get about $3000 worth of tickets. I go to see a JOP and he says if I pay half it off in a year then he would grant me another year to pay the rest. He was great and it was fair, then I was slapped with a $10,000 tax bill from the government and they are relentless when you owe them money so I couldn't get my parking tickets paid. When my sticker renewal came up I went to see a JOP and wanted to explain my situation. Now I don't know what or how it happened but there were about 15 tickets that were about 6 years old. I don't know how they slipped by because I renewed my sticker every year and paid my fines. This seemed to tick her off and she didn't want to see me at all. She just denied everything saying that since I had these old tickers I didn't show good faith. I wish I could have told her I spent about $2000 every year on tickets for about 5 years.

So I don't know what to do now. I've been driving when I have to but I can't do the things I want to anymore.

Chase

Simon Borys wrote:
Chase wrote:I've been stopped twice, the first time she gave me a $110 fine but put on my record that I had a medical condition so I wouldn't get any more fines.

There's no such thing as a record that an officer can note on that you have a medical condition so that you don't get any more fines. The bottom line is, if you have an expired sticker, you can and probably will continue to get stopped and charged. It's unlikely that you would be towed for that offence.

Why would she tell me that then. She asked my weight and height and said that I won't get fined when I get stopped again and to go see a JOP and I might get "a kiss from the state". Her words.

viper1

by: viper1 on

Chase wrote:Every since I've gotten divorced about 10 years ago I've accumulated about $2000 worth of tickets every year because when my son was younger and being a single Dad I could only drop him off so early but by then parking at the GO was full and I would have to park illegally. It was just a fact and every year I paid them off when I had to. A couple of times I asked for a couple of months to pay them and I was granted it and I paid them.

Then I had to go on short term disability, took a pay cut and spent a LOT of money on therapy all the while parking on the street outside my apartment because my parking spot was down a steep hill and I was in far too much pain to go up it.

So I get about $3000 worth of tickets. I go to see a JOP and he says if I pay half it off in a year then he would grant me another year to pay the rest. He was great and it was fair, then I was slapped with a $10,000 tax bill from the government and they are relentless when you owe them money so I couldn't get my parking tickets paid. When my sticker renewal came up I went to see a JOP and wanted to explain my situation. Now I don't know what or how it happened but there were about 15 tickets that were about 6 years old. I don't know how they slipped by because I renewed my sticker every year and paid my fines. This seemed to tick her off and she didn't want to see me at all. She just denied everything saying that since I had these old tickers I didn't show good faith. I wish I could have told her I spent about $2000 every year on tickets for about 5 years.

I am in that boat too, although a far smaller amount.

(visited the JP with all the forms etc.to get extensions).

So I am past that option.

Could you explain how to pay off one or two at at time?

I have no records left which means no reference to offense's.

The MTO wanted the whole amount or forget it.

Thanks for any reply.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

After a fewf ticket's come a part 3 summons. This usually increases the fine a lot as your past history is admitted. I did this and the guy got a 1000 fine.

If you want to take it to the extreme after a few Part 3 summons repetition of the offense becomes a valid issue and you are arrested and held for court. The vehicle is then seized under hta 217. The vehicle can then be ordered impounded by the JP. I have done this for driving under suspension.

That is the incentive

GS

Chase

OPS Copper wrote:After a fewf ticket's come a part 3 summons. This usually increases the fine a lot as your past history is admitted. I did this and the guy got a 1000 fine.

If you want to take it to the extreme after a few Part 3 summons repetition of the offense becomes a valid issue and you are arrested and held for court. The vehicle is then seized under hta 217. The vehicle can then be ordered impounded by the JP. I have done this for driving under suspension.

That is the incentive

GS

Ok, any suggestions for what I can do ?

Post a Reply