A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

needtokn0w

Whos Fault Is It?

by: needtokn0w on

So i lent my car to my gf the other day and she went to drop her friend at a Go station but when she was turning left into the parking lot at the Go station a bus hits her from behind while she was turning so now my rear fender is pushed in and more scrathes and my bumper is damaged...but the cop that showed up just kept telling my gf thats its her fault cause its private property...is that true what he said? now im stuck at do i want to make a claim or just fix it myself? I dont want to make a claim and they split it 50/50 and my premium goes thru the roof...please any advice would be appreciated

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Police typically can't lay Highway Traffic Act charges for accidents that happened on private property. Regardless, insurance fault rules still apply. Typically the driver who struck the other vehicle from behind is 100% at fault.

Here's a link to fault determination rules on the Insurance Bureau website: http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... -rules.pdf

paul1913

by: paul1913 on

Stanton wrote:Police typically can't lay Highway Traffic Act charges for accidents that happened on private property. Regardless, insurance fault rules still apply. Typically the driver who struck the other vehicle from behind is 100% at fault.

Here's a link to fault determination rules on the Insurance Bureau website: http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... -rules.pdf

How about Fail to Report.... :wink:

needtokn0w

thanks for the reply staton...from the link you sent me the scenario seem to match part 6.(3) middle picture from the story my gf has explain to me...and she has just mention that she got a lady to be witness of the accident soo hopefully that is in my favor when i make a claim

G35Dalf

by: G35Dalf on

Unfortunately the number of claims and frequency can impact your insurance, regardless of who's at fault. You may want to check with your insurance to see what impact this incident may have. GL

G35Dalf

You can call and put a "general" inquiry, without giving your name, on what that insurance company's policy is regarding the type of situation yours is. i.e. a hypothetical question to them. They should be open about their policies but not all are. Good luck.

Last edited by G35Dalf on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G35Dalf

Every insurance company's internal policies are different. They have different rates and tolerances for accidents, claims, frequency, driving history, etc. Some are "tougher" than others. So you should consult your specific insurance company.

G35Dalf

btw, if this is your first claim with them and no HTA offences actively on file, you may have only a minor premium increase or none at all. Depends on the company.

For example, my insurance (no names as I'm not trying to promote any company) offers a "no premium increase on the first at-fault claim"

G35Dalf

Keep in mind that when you switched companies, you were required to give your driving history prior to joining them. They may take that history into account as well.

Not trying to scare you or say you have a serious problem, but you did express concern about your premium increasing and I'm just trying to think this through. Hope it helps.

needtokn0w

yeaaa i switch cause i lent my dad my car last yr and someone ran a red and hit him and the insurance company split it 50/50 and when i had to renew my premium jumps up to 8k/year from 2k/year...so im just worried if i get another 50/50 here my premium will for sure jump

Post a Reply