varrinb18c

Driving No Insurance

by: varrinb18c on

Hi there. On 13 July 2010, I bought a new truck from a private seller and drove the vehicle home with no plates. I was pulled over by the OPP and they charged me with driving with no plates and no insurance. In Sept 2010 I plead guilty. In October of 2011 I was cut off of my work insurance for the no insurance conviction. In talking to the agent he told me I never should have plead guilty because since I owned another vehicle my new truck was covered under the 14 day policy. So I am appealing my conviction and the crown wants proof that my insurance would have covered the truck on that day in question. However since I got charged I didn't have the money to do anything with the truck and it sat for months. I didn't inform State farm until November of 2010 that I bought the truck. So my question is since I didn't inform them within the 14 days of purchase am i screwed? does that mean i really wasn't insured?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I think you'd have to contact State Farm and see what they say since it will be dependent on your actual policy. Clearly explain the situation to them since they're the ones who will have to provide proof of insurance.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

varrinb18c wrote:since I owned another vehicle my new truck was covered under the 14 day policy.

I just got my renewal last week, pulled it out, no mention of a 14 day policy anywhere in the fine print. I have never heard of this before this post either....so does anyone have a link to this information??

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Gabriel

by: Gabriel on

I believe what the gentleman is talking about is the binder insurance, most companies will have a policy that if you purchase a new vehicle, that vehicle is automatically insured for the first 14 days from purchase as long as you inform your insurance company of the purchase within a specific time period.

The problem you will have with this is that to find this information it's usually contained in the original package sent to you by your insurance company. It's not printed on the forms that are sent to you each year when your policy renews. They probably won't provide you that part, good luck with it.

viper1

by: viper1 on

hwybear wrote:
varrinb18c wrote:since I owned another vehicle my new truck was covered under the 14 day policy.

I just got my renewal last week, pulled it out, no mention of a 14 day policy anywhere in the fine print. I have never heard of this before this post either....so does anyone have a link to this information??

When you first got your insurance

They sent you a copy of SPF1 "standard policy form 1"

It is your actual policy and covers this.

They do not resend this each year.

You will likely need to ask your agent for it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
paul1913

by: paul1913 on

I have heard of this mentioned in court on an unrelated trail. The 14 day grace period if you have an existing policy with the company it covers vehicles you purchase.

I have never been able to locate any documentation about this.

viper1

by: viper1 on

paul1913 wrote:I have heard of this mentioned in court on an unrelated trail. The 14 day grace period if you have an existing policy with the company it covers vehicles you purchase.

I have never been able to locate any documentation about this.

You may need to contact your agent it is under SPF1

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Thunderwriter

by: Thunderwriter on

The ontario auto policy is standard in ontario and can be found online (Search ontario ottawa policy or go to FSCO's website and look for the O.A.P.1/S.P.F.1).

The newly acquired auto section would apply (2.2 extending your insurance to other automobiles), subject to certain conditions.

The insurer must be notified within 14 days as mentioned above, however the car must be authorized by law to drive (ie. it must be plated or have a temporary plate).

varrinb18c

by: varrinb18c on

Thunderwriter wrote:The ontario auto policy is standard in ontario and can be found online (Search ontario ottawa policy or go to FSCO's website and look for the O.A.P.1/S.P.F.1).

The newly acquired auto section would apply (2.2 extending your insurance to other automobiles), subject to certain conditions.

The insurer must be notified within 14 days as mentioned above, however the car must be authorized by law to drive (ie. it must be plated or have a temporary plate).

So what you are saying is since the vehicle was not plated I am screwed? I don't understand how you are supposed to get plates without insurance on that vehicle.

Thunderwriter

by: Thunderwriter on

You would provide the MTO with your insurance information in order to get a temporary permit or plate. Then you have 14 days to advise your insurer. Whichever date your vehicle was added to your policy was the day coverage commenced, no chance of getting that changed now.

Post a Reply