A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

cowcow

Is This Legal (lighting)?

by: cowcow on

Hi there,

I was just wondering if this is legal? From what I interpreted from the HTA, it is legal but the wording is very vague.

My car as of right now (stock) has the:

Inner light (closest to grille) as orange (on when parking lights/headlights are on and blink when turn signal is activated)

Outer light (closest to fender) as orange and is only on with the headlights/parking lights and do not blink

I'm thinking of changing to the lighting from the picture above where the inner and out light would both be on in white when the parking lights/headlights are on and will both blink orange when the turn signals are activated.

I'm also think of putting a clear reflector in place of the stock orange reflector on top of the light closest to the fender.

From what I understand, having white marker lights is legal and the proposed lighting system should be legal as it blinks orange when the turn signals are activated.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... _e-688.htm

scroll way down to technical standard III and it tells what colour lights is mandatory

turn signal lamps = amber

parking lamps = amber or white (inner lights)

side marker lamps = amber (outer most light

scroll to technical standard IV and it tells where the lights must be placed and what colour reflectors have to be

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
cowcow

by: cowcow on

hk111 wrote:I hope so; that looks great. What is that cross piece on top of the (de-badged) grill (just under the hood line)?

That piece is part of the grill.

hwybear wrote:http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... _e-688.htm

scroll way down to technical standard III and it tells what colour lights is mandatory

scroll to technical standard IV and it tells where the lights must be placed and what colour reflectors have to be

Transport Canada laws are enforced in addition to Ontario HTA laws correct?

epcjay

by: epcjay on

Im not lawyer ... but in the ONTARIO HTA, it doesn't indicate anything along the lines of "in addition" to transport Canada laws. I remember checking MANITOBA HTA, and it was clearly stated unlike Ontario

AlienPrime

by: AlienPrime on

hwybear wrote:http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... _e-688.htm

but there are many OEM vehicles that have red markers and signals in rear! INCLUDING CROWN VICS!

"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

AlienPrime wrote:

but there are many OEM vehicles that have red markers and signals in rear! INCLUDING CROWN VICS!

I believe HwyBear was talking about the front signals. I'm pretty sure the standard says that rear signals can be red or amber.

AlienPrime

Stanton wrote:
AlienPrime wrote:

I believe HwyBear was talking about the front signals. I'm pretty sure the standard says that rear signals can be red or amber.

ok that would make sense :)

- Mark Twain
AlienPrime

what if my parking lights are used in the same socket as the signal lights?

I will be removing the amber reflectors out of my headlights because it is ugly. I also plan to put white CREE projector signal lights. not amber.

even tho it;s all the same socket will this be illegal? If so, is it required that the vehicle is modified to change or can you just pay the ticket and be on your way?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

- Mark Twain
Reflections

by: Reflections on

AlienPrime wrote:what if my parking lights are used in the same socket as the signal lights?

I will be removing the amber reflectors out of my headlights because it is ugly. I also plan to put white CREE projector signal lights. not amber.

even tho it;s all the same socket will this be illegal? If so, is it required that the vehicle is modified to change or can you just pay the ticket and be on your way?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Technically, if the lighting is illegal, your can can be towed and impounded as "Unfit"....... just sayin....

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply