bestbacon

Careless Driving - No Light, Skidded Right Turn, No Accident

by: bestbacon on

Hi everyone,

Today, While i was driving along a street which required me to make a right turn (without a street light) I advanced to cut in front of another person to make the right turn because it merges into one lane. Because of my increased speed upon cutting into lane, i was forced to take a right turn at a speed which would make my tires skid. During the ordeal when i was making this right turn, understeer was imminent and my car wobbled a bit. a cop moving in the opposite direction must have heard the squeal from my tires, spotted me, and decided to make a U-turn to give me with this ticket of careless driving with a $490 set fine and 6 demerit points. He certainly had no radar on him as he was in the opposite lane driving as well. He claims that i could have hit him, when in my opinion was nowhere near doing, and proceeds to tell me how Ontario distributes salt to increase traction. I have had 2 tickets in the past before but none for speeding, including a failure to proceed (0 points) and a ticket that is to be held trial for obstructing traffic by stopping illegally which is accredited to a maximum of 2 demerit points.

I have mistakenly told him i was cutting into the lane and going faster than speed limit and that i "believed" that i was in full control in which he asked me "believed?" and i corrected my sentence saying that "i was in full control of the car" Is there anything in my defense that could help me fight this ticket?

Edit: Forgot to add in the fact that this was a 20km/h zone. i was going 40 km/h which resulted in tire squeal (due to low tread width in an 2002 corolla)

Thanks,

BB

manwithaplan

by: manwithaplan on

What does speed have to do with the ticket itself? Careless Driving doesn't have to do with speed specifically, although in many cases speed is a factor in the event that causes a CD ticket to be issued.

You might be able to get it pled down to a lesser charge, or you might not, nobody can say for certain. Your best bet would be to contact a paralegal/lawyer to help you out.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

viper1 wrote:I believe double the limit is automatic careless.

No, it isn't.

bestbacon wrote:Because of my increased speed upon cutting into lane, i was forced to take a right turn at a speed which would make my tires skid. During the ordeal when i was making this right turn, understeer was imminent and my car wobbled a bit.

That would've been the reason for the Careless Driving.

I'd probably try to plea-bargain this one down to something an unsafe turn or unsafe lane change. Hopefully the Prosecutor is agreeable.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

bestbacon wrote:Today, While i was driving along a street which required me to make a right turn (without a street light) I advanced to cut in front of another person to make the right turn because it merges into one lane.

as per you post above = lane cutting

You know of a right turn ahead....why not wait 3-10 seconds and go in behind the person that is already in that lane

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply