A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Bashlol

Received Speeding Ticket After Parking And Exiting Vehicle

by: Bashlol on

Hi Everyone,

Not 100% exactly where this post belongs so I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong category.

I received a speeding ticket today for going 75 in a 60 zone in Vaughn (Kipling and Highway 7). I did not see an officer behind me while driving and only noticed him while exiting a store I was in for a few minutes after buying some snacks. When I sat in my car, I was approached and given the ticket.

A few friends of mine informed me that after parking and exiting the vehicle, the officer should not be able to give you a speeding ticket (moving violation). I've been trying to do some research online but cannot find a similar scenario or any information on this and was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on whether this is true or simply a myth.

Thanks to all in advance!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

As Squishy says, you cant be charged for speeding on private property, but you can still be given a ticket on private property for an offence that occurred on a public roadway.

The only issue I can see with the officer charging you after you return to your vehicle is identity. The officer would need to show in Court that you were the person operating the motor vehicle at the time he observed it speeding.

Post a Reply