A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

manwithaplan

Question About Rules Of The Road I Can't Find In The Ohta

by: manwithaplan on

So I've been reading the HTA (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... 0h08_e.htm) as I was curious about whether or not a couple things were illegal, and I can't find any reference to them in the HTA. If someone more knowledgeable could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

1. Changing lanes in an intersection

Everyone I know says this is illegal. However, I can't find anything in the HTA that either supports or refutes it. I just got my DZ license from Humber College and the instructors there (who are all professionals in the transport industry) said that it isn't illegal (Although they don't necessarily condone it, they were making a point of teaching the actual rules of the road) . I know that it's usually not advisable (which is what most regular driving schools teach), but I can't find anything concrete that says it is illegal.

2. Crossing a single/double solid yellow line(s) to pass a car

This was brought up on this website, where someone mentioned that there was nothing in the HTA indicating that you could not pass a car by crossing a solid yellow line, provided that you signal properly, pass with caution, and adhere to these guidelines:

Driving to left of centre prohibited under certain conditions

149. (1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,

(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the drivers view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction; or

(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 149 (1).

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply,

(a) on a highway divided into clearly marked lanes where there are more such lanes for traffic in one direction than in the other direction;

(b) to a road service vehicle where precautions are taken to eliminate the hazard; or

(c) on a highway while it is designated for the use of one-way traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 149 (2).

Is this true? It also doesn't say anything about not being able to cross double solid yellow lines, however I've been told and would assume that you cannot, cross double solid yellow lines, or there wouldn't be any point in having them as well as single solid yellow lines. It seems the opposite would hold true as well, if you couldn't cross a single solid yellow line, why would you need double solid yellow lines?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

1. You can change lanes in an intersection. You just can't do it if you're turning in the intersection. Otherwise, you're good to go. It's not recommended but it is not illegal.

2. In Ontario, yellow lines are guidelines only. You can pass on a double-yellow line if the maneouvre is done in safety and you don't violate any provision of s. 149.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply