A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

M

Expired Sticker

by: M on

So first a quick history of my current situation/problem...

Licence Plate Sticker expired on Dec. 2006.

May 2007 - cop stopped me on 403 in Burlington because of expired sticker and speeding. Gives me a ticket for 140 km/h (which i do agree is idiotic on my part) and for no insurance (i did not have insurace - also very idiotic on my part). However, says to save me the hassle he won't ticket me for the expired sticker.

May 2008 - ticket for expired sticker, but i now have insurance. Ticket paid.

Old case resolved in Sept 2008 in court by X-Police - Hamilton. Speeding ticket dropped to 125 km/h and fine for no insurance at $2500.

October 2008 - ticket for expired sticker again. (Car had trouble passing emmissions tests, and being a student, don't have $$ to fix or get new car, therefore couldn't get new sticker)

NOW, i know i'm an idiot for this whole sticker thing, but the car is finally getting replaced in a week, and i will have a new sticker! and i have insurance now too. I'm not expecting much but should I take this latest expired sticker to court or forget about it and just pay the ticket? If i took it to court what could my chances be about getting a lower fine, or the ticket being dropped? Sorry for wasting everyone's time, because of my idiotic handling of this sticker business, but any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Mike

Last edited by M on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reflections

by: Reflections on

Expired sticker is cut and dry. Make sure you get a good job to pay for all those "oversights".

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

You need to edit your post and put the right dates in. We are still in 2008 not 2009.

You can try and fight the ticket because let's face it, you really have nothing to loose at this point except time and gas (or bus fare).

Basically all you've got to fight the ticket is:

1. an advanced disclosure request strategy,
  2. hope the cop doesn't show up or
  3. try and plead down with the prosecutor.
Although he could still look you up, I would definitely not mention your ticket history to the prosecutor. No excuse will likely cut it, so the "I'm an idiot", mercy throw down is about all you've got there. Sometimes they just appreciate honesty and admitting your mistake and the steps you are taking to correct them will go a lot farther than a lame excuse.

Good luck.

Fight Your Ticket!
M

by: M on

Thanks to both of you Reflections and Ticketcombat. I still have about 10 days, so i'll contemplete for a few more days and see what my best bet may be.

Post a Reply