pinkyswear

Some Questions - Please Help Me Out :(

by: pinkyswear on

I'm charged with a ticket by an officer.

Background: car - private property accident, and was dealt privately btw me and the owner. They won't penalize the duties against me. And the officer didn't complete all the information he needed, such as plate number and insurance info.

1) I wonder what happens if I don't show up in the court for the trials?

2) What if I moved to another province and sold the car after I've been charged and changed my driver's license while this case is still processing? Would they still be able to add this record to my history?

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Much appreciated if anyone could help me out on this one!!!:)

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) Failure to show results in you being found guilty.

2) I believe it would still show. While a pending charge wouldn't show on an abstract, reciprocal agreements make convictions Canada wide. Be aware that if you fail to pay the fine in Ontario, you would definitely be suspended Canada wide, regardless if the conviction shows.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Stanton wrote:Be aware that if you fail to pay the fine in Ontario, you would definitely be suspended Canada wide, regardless if the conviction shows.

If he's suspended for unpaid fines, that only applies to his Ontario driver's licence. That means he can't drive in Ontario on his Ontario licence, nor can he drive in Ontario under the jurisdiction of another licence while his Ontario licence is suspended, but I don't think the suspension is automatically applied to licences issued by other provinces. For example, if he moves and gets a BC licence, it isn't suspended as soon as he gets it.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I believe it eventually would be suspended assuming Ontario notifies the other Province of the non-payment. My understanding is that when you exchange your licence between Provinces, BC (to use as an example) would ask Ontario for a copy of your abstract/conviction history. If the charge was still before the Courts, it obviously wouldnt show yet. BC would issue the new licence and notify Ontario of the transfer. Upon conviction, Ontario should now be aware of the BC licence, and forward the relevant conviction information. If the fine isnt paid, Ontario would issue a suspension which should also be honoured by BC due to the reciprocal agreements in place. Perhaps Im assuming too much that the licences would be properly linked, but Im certain if he had originally been charged with a BC licence, BC would suspend the licence on Ontario's behalf for non-payment.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

@Stanton - I see what you're saying, if he's suspended already in Ontario he may be suspended when he gets a new licence in another province. It may well work that way, I don't know. But I think if it did, it would only be the case if he was suspended for unpaid fines BEFORE he went to get a licence in another jurisdiction. I don't think they have any knowledge of pending charges and I don't think there is any communication after you get that new licence.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply