twobelowpar

Parking Ticket For Out Of Country Plate

by: twobelowpar on

Hello all! My wife just got TWO parking tickets in Hamilton during a 12 hour shift. She misread the poorly worded sign and the tickets are warranted... however... her car is registered in Michigan. From what I have read, they can't chase down out of province/country vehicles for parking tickets. So I'm thinking of just leaving them. My concern is even though her car is registered in Michigan, we plan on importing it sometime in the next few months (when time and money allows, it's quite a process!) Does anyone know if we'd have an issue if there are unpaid parking tickets on it or even if it's possible for them to know??

Many thanks!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

At this time, I'm not aware of any reciprocal agreement for parking tickets involving out of Province plates. The City obtains owner information from the MTO, which can only provide it for Ontario plates. In short, it shouldn't effect your ability to register the vehicle, nor should there be any record linked to it regarding parking fines.

The only caveat is that the City is still looking into reciprocal agreements with other Provinces and States because of the huge revenue they're losing. Reciprocal agreements have been in place in the past, and should they come into force again they could feasibly get your information and send it to a collection agency.

Post a Reply