Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
halaku

Going Straight On Right Turn Lane:

by: halaku on

At 10:am, while traffic is heavy with all big trawlers taking space on the lanes, my wife came out of the plaza and started driving on the South Bound Kennedy Rd in the right most lane (3rd lane).

That lane has a right turn sign and is merging with the left lane after the Kennedy-Ellesmere intersection. There are no signs posted that we can not drive straight on this lane.

She merged into left lane after the intersection and was stopped by the Officer. He gave her the ticket that says:

Highway Traffic Act 182(2)

I am wondering if someone is coming out from a plaza can only turn into immediate lane and can not skip one lane while traffic is running. Also, if someone can not find space to merge before intersection then stopping and waiting before the intersection means you are impeding the traffic and will hear a lot of honking behind you.

Can anyone tell me what our options are.

I have attached the picture for better clarity.

Thanks.

Attachments
Going south bound on Kennedy in the right most lane, that is merging after the intersection.
Going south bound on Kennedy in the right most lane, that is merging after the intersection.
Kenn-Ellesm-IntersectionSmall.png (196.75 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

There is a sign posted prior to the intersection indicating it's a right turn lane. The sign is black square with a white border and a white arrow pointing right on it. That's a lawful sign under the HTA for lane use, indicating you must turn right. I don't believe heavy traffic is justification for proceeding straight through, but I'm not familiar with relevant case law.

One possibility in Toronto is to see if you can plead to a similar bylaw. The fine would be greatly reduced, and if it doesn't carry any demerit points it won't effect your insurance rates.

viper1

by: viper1 on

My 2 cents.

People doing what you did are inconsiderate.

We follow the lane, wait for our turn, then you people want to but in.

I applaud the cop who took the time to ticket your wife.

Courtesy is needed to prevent ROAD-RAGE.

Thumbs Down

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply