Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
gpolitop

Disobey Sign Staines Rd & Steeles Ave

by: gpolitop on

Hi everyone,

what to do about a an illegal right turn onto steeles from staines rd

got the ticket around october of last year

put it to trial

so there is a big mess of cars at this intersection and I see a cop outside standing directing traffic with a huge row of cars pulled over to the side, through this commotion I pull right thinking there is some big accident totally oblivious to the sign because i take the route everyday and never saw it

I get pulled over and am given a ticket, I tell the cop he doesn't care, he also tells me the sign was put up a day before because of complaints in the area..

how does this guy give out a bunch of tickets like that after one day without a warning? do I have a chance? my court date is august 25th what should I do?

Thanks in advance

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

If the sign is valid and visible, it won't really matter how long it's been up for. Quite a few people try to plead out to a bylaw offence due to the lower fine and potential to avoid it showing on your record (though some bylaws carry points as well).

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

A by-law offence such as "prohibited turn" will carry 2 demerit points... but a by-law offence to "disobey sign" does not. Funny that...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
gpolitop

by: gpolitop on

so how do I go about pleading to a by law offence?

do I seek out the prosecutor before the trial ie. a few weeks before? or do I show up early?

can the prosecutor throw out the charge beforehand? or offer me that before the trial?

Thanks for the help all of you

I hate these tickets, also....can I ask for video from the cops car so I can show the judge the crazy amount of cars the cop had pulled over? it looked like an accident scene there must have been 20 to 30 cars stopped on the side of the road! with a cop standing outside

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

gpolitop wrote:so how do I go about pleading to a by law offence?

do I seek out the prosecutor before the trial ie. a few weeks before? or do I show up early?

I'd suggest requesting a first attendance meeting with the Crown prior to trial. The Process varies from region to region, but you can contact the Court office for details. You could also try speaking to the Crown on the day of your trial, but once they've gone to the trouble of having the officer show, deals may be less likely.

gpolitop wrote:can I ask for video from the cops car so I can show the judge the crazy amount of cars the cop had pulled over? it looked like an accident scene there must have been 20 to 30 cars stopped on the side of the road! with a cop standing outside

If there is video and it's somehow relevant, you could request it. But the fact that lots of other people were stopped for the same thing isn't a defence in itself. All that really matters is if there was a proper, lawful, visible sign.

Post a Reply