davesinibiza

G1, G2, Fully Licensed Definition

by: davesinibiza on

Hello members, my wife and I have been having a hot debate about a novice related driver issue.

In the H.T.A. section 5(1) it states;

(2) A person is qualified to act as an accompanying driver if he or she,

(a) is a fully licensed driver in a Class G motor vehicle;

(b) has been licensed in Ontario or another jurisdiction for at least four years;

The H.T.A. clearly states;

1) a fully licensed driver in a 'class G vehicle', not a class G license.

2) "licensed" for at least 4 years, (not deemed as a full "G" license) so when the day one is first licensed with a G1, this 4 year term has begun. Is this our correct understanding ?

regards

Warm regards,
D. T. Longo
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

It falls under O.Reg 340/94 definiing "accompanying driver." To be fully licenced in a "Class G vehicle," you need a Class G licence (or other some other class, but not G1 or G2).

You become "licenced" the moment you get your G1. So the four year clock, in my view, begins the second you get your G1. So someone who got a G1 four years ago today could act as an accompanying driver if he/she has a full G licence now.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

A G Licence is actually your FULL Licence in Ontario.

G1 is basically learners, G2 is still not FULL its with limitations. G is your FULL Licence in Ontario.

And you need to have a Licence for 4 years + and be G Licenced to drive around with a G1 holder.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

"G1 Level 1 of graduated licensing.

Holders may drive Class G vehicles when accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience. Additional conditions apply. "

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... sses.shtml

- IMO this means that you must be with someone that has been a Fully Licensed Driver (G License) with ATLEAST 4+ years of driving experience. Therefore, a G is considered a Fully Licensed Driver. So you would need 4+ years of a G License to drive with someone who has a G1.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The fine for a novice driver driving without a proper accompanying driver is $85. There is no specific charge for being an unqualified accompanying driver, however if the accompanying driver is found to have the requisite amount of control over the situation they may be charged with permitting a novice driver to driver in contravention of their licence conditions (s. 32(11.1)), $240 fine.

Also, if you want to know if you are a 4 year driver, check for the 4 dots on your licence. On old licences they were right under the picture, on new licences they are just to the left of the hologram in the bottom right corner.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

plus if i remember correctly a violation of a G1 condition carries an automatic 30 days suspension of the licence by the MTO

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply