A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

gatkinson

Corrective Lenses Restriction Removal ... Just Got A Ticket

by: gatkinson on

hello, in addition to getting caught turning left at the lakeshore / yonge mess (they used to have two lanes turning left, now it is only one with a broken line making it LOOK like you can turn left....sigh)....

I got another ticket handed to me for the corrective lenses thing. he asked if i needed glasses (condition is x on back of license) i said no i had laser surgery. I thought i would get a warning or something for this to get it updated...however, no...a ticket.

OK, so what do i do? i can go to the drivers centre to have the condition remove with an eye test however what do i do with the ticket? how do i get the fine reduced or removed? I don't think the drivers centre can do this. I don't want to plead guitly because technically i don't have a vision problem (since 1998) just haven't gone to get that restriction removed.

any suggestions?

PS: anyone else get a ticket at lakeshore / yonge intersection for turning left?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Get your licence updated right away and gather whatever documentation you can showing the date and results of your laser surgery. Just request a pre trial meeting with the Crown and bring all the documentation and explain the situation. I think you have a very good chance of having the charge withdrawn before even going to trial. The fact that you have two charges also helps, since they typically withdraw one anyways in exchange for a plea to the other.

gatkinson

Thanks Stanton,

a couple clarifications if you don't mind....

I am in Ontario, is this the 'option 2' for a plead guilty with a lesser fine for the glasses thing? Also, I am assuming I can go into a drivesmart location and they can do the eye exam, remove the condition. is there a fee for this (the eye exam at the license centre)?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Option 2 allows you to plead guilty only. The JP may give you a reduced fine, but you would still have the conviction. I would select option 3 and request a trial. You do NOT actually need to proceed all the ways to trial. Simply request a meeting with the Crown (called a first attendance meeting) and explain the situation. If you were planning on pleading guilty to your other charge, ask them to at least drop the licence restriction charge.

As for the eye test, yes I believe it can be done at the Ministry, but I have no idea in regards to fees.

gatkinson

thanks for your information!

I went to the DriveSmart centre and they did the eye test and drivers license card update on the spot (no fee).

I requested Option 3 on both...when or how do i request a meeting with the crown? when i get the notice of date and time or before that? I was told in five months i would get the date / time.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

gatkinson wrote:thanks for your information!

I went to the DriveSmart centre and they did the eye test and drivers license card update on the spot (no fee).

I requested Option 3 on both...when or how do i request a meeting with the crown? when i get the notice of date and time or before that? I was told in five months i would get the date / time.

Ask for the first attendance once you have a trial date.....

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply