Harper77

Ticketed 131 In 100 Zone

by: Harper77 on

Was issued my very first ticket last week - doing 131 in 100 zone along the 401 near Cornwall.

I have mailed back the ticket stating I am fighting it in court and requested the officer be there @ trial.

What can I expect when I go? I was told by a few ppl at work that more than likely I would be offer a plea bargain - am I offered that before the trial date or on the date I go to trial?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

If you seek or are automatically given a resolution meeting date with a prosecutor before the trial you can discuss the possibility of a plea at that time. If you go to trial you can usually do the same in the morning before court starts. But my experience is that you usually lose some bargaining power on the morning of the trial if they've already gone through the trouble of having the officer attend court.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Harper77

So I rec'd my papers in the mail from Cornwall - its called First Attendance Notice.

But is this my trial date or just a meeting with a prosecutor? Is this "First Attendance" meeting where they will offer me a plea bargain, if any..?

Harper77

So my first attendance mtg is next mos, March 9 in Cornwall. Yay me - I have to drive from Oakville to Cornhole.

I was given 2 tickets in Oct 2010 - one for going 131 in a 100 zone and the other ticket for having a GPS in my window right below the rear-view mirror (obstructing view).

What am I to expect at this first attendance? Will the person be a real witch? What should I be prepared to deal with?

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Personally, that obstructed view ticket is a non-issue.... if they won't just drop it ask if the officer was ever sitting in the drivers seat....ticket dismissed. I agree with Simon thou, you can never guarentee what offer may come up.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Harper77

Reflections wrote:Personally, that obstructed view ticket is a non-issue.... if they won't just drop it ask if the officer was ever sitting in the drivers seat....ticket dismissed. I agree with Simon thou, you can never guarentee what offer may come up.

Thats just the point though - this mtg is called a First Attendance, which means I will more than likely be meeting with the prosecutor. Will the cop be there also?

I am starting to lose sleep over this and its not for another 2 weeks!! :oops:

Harper77

I was just going through the info last night - trying to get my "Law & Order" defense ready for my First Attendance next week and noticed that the summons to appear for First Attendance spelled the name of my street wrong.

I have heard of tickets being thrown out due to spelling errors in names, etc - anyone know if I can use the mistaken address on the First Attendance notice?

I checked the tix and everything is accurate on them :(

Reflections

by: Reflections on

"spelled the name of my street wrong."

That won't get your ticket tossed. Just talk to the crown try to find a middle ground. The obs view will probably get tossed without even asking, and then request a lower speed with a guilty plea. Could be that easy. All depends on the crown.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Harper77

Reflections wrote:"spelled the name of my street wrong."

That won't get your ticket tossed. Just talk to the crown try to find a middle ground. The obs view will probably get tossed without even asking, and then request a lower speed with a guilty plea. Could be that easy. All depends on the crown.

Its Cornwall, or should I say Cornhole. I have heard its one of the worst places to get a ticket and getting a deal. I guess I had better wear pants that can easily be undone and bring some lube with me.

Post a Reply