Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Shiruvia

Right Hand Lane On Ellesmere And Kennedy

by: Shiruvia on

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.

I'm a newish driver and got my first traffic ticket for failing to obey the signs (H.T.A. 182 (2)).

I recognize that I am at fault for not paying close attention, but I very rarely drive in the area. (Still that's not an excuse, I'm aware of that) The bottom line though is that I really don't want to get those demerit points on my record.

The police officer gave me some advice about taking the ticket to court, but now I don't remember if he said that I should plead guilty or not guilty.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

viper1

by: viper1 on

Shiruvia wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice.

I'm a newish driver and got my first traffic ticket for failing to obey the signs (H.T.A. 182 (2)).

I recognize that I am at fault for not paying close attention, but I very rarely drive in the area. (Still that's not an excuse, I'm aware of that) The bottom line though is that I really don't want to get those demerit points on my record.

The police officer gave me some advice about taking the ticket to court, but now I don't remember if he said that I should plead guilty or not guilty.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You have to tell us what you did.

We can raed minds but only on zuoondays

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Shiruvia

by: Shiruvia on

So the story goes like this...

I was going down southbound on Kennedy past Ellesmere. I wanted to stay on the right hand side of the road, because the store that I was looking for is located on the right side. However, I wasn't too sure about the location of the shop and it was the first time that I had driven down that street. I kept going straight down Kennedy until the shop came into view. The police followed me until I parked and explained what I had done wrong. I guess they're targeting the area due to the high accident rates.

I did think it was odd that the street went down to a two-lane after Ellesmere, I should have realized that it was because of the mandatory right turn lane. Like I said above, I should have been more aware of the road not the area. Oh well, it could have been worse now that I have thought about it more.

I'll be going to the courts on Wednesday to see if I can either ask for a trail or not.

That's why I wondering which plea I should give.

Thanks again.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Shiruvia wrote:I guess they're targeting the area due to the high accident rates.

They're targeting the area because that particular intersection has a lot of people blowing by vehicles in the turning lane and then attempting to ram their way back in at the intersection... or proceeding across the intersection and cutting drivers off... causes more traffic congestion. Most of the crashes there are due to people running red lights. Anyway, that's an aside...

Shiruvia wrote:That's why I wondering which plea I should give.

Option 1 is pleading guilty and paying the fine. You get the conviction on your record, the fine, demerit points and possible insurance increase.

Option 2 is pleading guilty with an explanation. You still get the demerit points, the conviction and a possible insurance increase. The JP may lower the fine, but that's it. You will be scheduled to appear in court for this.

Option 3 is pleading not guilty. This gives you a chance to plea-bargain to a lesser offence (such aa municipal by-law infraction) or have a trial. With any ticket, you can choose this.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I think that these "disappearing" right lanes (ones that exit, etc) are stupid, in that they tend to convince drivers not to remain in the right (aka "driving") lane, but, it is what it is. There are two signs on Kennedy southbound approaching Ellesmere indicating that you must turn right frm that lane.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply