Being Towed From Parking In My Own Driveway

needhelp

Being Towed From Parking In My Own Driveway

Unread post by needhelp »

my situation is slightly different, it is not so much a moving violation, but rather a parking violation. Parking in my own driveway. It seems in the city in which I live (Brampton) it is a by-law infraction to park your vehicle in your driveway unless it has a valid up to date sticker on the rear plate. My vehicle is backed into the driveway, with the nose facing out, so the only way for someone to know the sticker is not up to date is to trespass onto my property, go to the rear of my vehicle and bend down to inspect the plate... or conversely type the plate's number into a computer if they have access to that kind of info.

Here's my challenge: Year ago (1998) HWY 407's records were screwed up and they refused to acknowledge payments sent to them. As a result they have blocked renewal of my tags. Today, I got a notice posted on my door by the city of Brampton saying they were going to tow my vehicle from my driveway, charge me for the towing fees, storage charges etc, and if I'm unable to pay, the storage facility they towed the car to would be permitted to sell my vehicle.

To me this is absolutely preposterous. how can someone tow my vehicle from my own property then charge me to get it back? If I did that, I would be tossed in jail for theft & extortion. Short of sitting in the vehicle 24 hrs/day for the next week, how can I prevent my vehicle from being towed from my driveway? I do not have the money to renew the sticker, and I have no where else to put it, and I certainly don't have the money for towing charges and additional storage fees.

Armour

Unread post by Armour »

needhelp wrote: My vehicle is backed into the driveway, with the nose facing out, so the only way for someone to know the sticker is not up to date is to trespass onto my property, go to the rear of my vehicle and bend down to inspect the plate... or conversely type the plate's number into a computer if they have access to that kind of info.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/art ... lates?bn=1

Peel Police have been using the License Plate camera since August 2009 that could be one way they know it's expired.

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

needhelp wrote:my situation is slightly different, it is not so much a moving violation, but rather a parking violation. Parking in my own driveway. It seems in the city in which I live (Brampton) it is a by-law infraction to park your vehicle in your driveway unless it has a valid up to date sticker on the rear plate. My vehicle is backed into the driveway, with the nose facing out, so the only way for someone to know the sticker is not up to date is to trespass onto my property, go to the rear of my vehicle and bend down to inspect the plate... or conversely type the plate's number into a computer if they have access to that kind of info.

Here's my challenge: Year ago (1998) HWY 407's records were screwed up and they refused to acknowledge payments sent to them. As a result they have blocked renewal of my tags. Today, I got a notice posted on my door by the city of Brampton saying they were going to tow my vehicle from my driveway, charge me for the towing fees, storage charges etc, and if I'm unable to pay, the storage facility they towed the car to would be permitted to sell my vehicle.

To me this is absolutely preposterous. how can someone tow my vehicle from my own property then charge me to get it back? If I did that, I would be tossed in jail for theft & extortion. Short of sitting in the vehicle 24 hrs/day for the next week, how can I prevent my vehicle from being towed from my driveway? I do not have the money to renew the sticker, and I have no where else to put it, and I certainly don't have the money for towing charges and additional storage fees.

Every city has different rules about this.

Most likely a "tarp" would do.

As to the 407, has it gone to collections?

If not call them and tell them the bills are just not right.

Agree to pay lesser amount (let them pick it) by payments.

ie:$50 per month.

You could probably get your plate with-in a week.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

The licence plate camera doesn't read plates and return information about the owner or the vehicle. All it does is compare the plate to a pre-generated list of plates. Plates on that list are only vehicles that are stolen, involved in crime, wanted, etc - not expired tags.

If the officer typed the plate into the computer manually, the would get information about the validation sticker.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Expired plates, suspended drivers, unlicenced drivers = all show up

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
needhelp

Unread post by needhelp »

Too late. those SOBs came and took the car out of my driveway.

I looked out the window and saw the tow truck, and ran downstairs and hopped into my car. I told them they were on private property and ordered them to leave, to no avail. They just hooked up the vehicle with me in it. one of the police officers present threatened to break the windows. I should have let her and allowed myself to to be hit in the face with some glass. I need the money. In any event, they took my vehicle, and now want to charge me $60/day for storage for the next 45 days before they sell it at auction in November, ...or charge me $200+ dollars for me to sign over title & ownership of the vehicle to them and have them keep the vehicle for whatever they want to do with it. What a racket! It's legislated theft & extortion, ...and I am NOT happy about this at all!

I'm gonna stop typing before I type something that could get me in trouble.

but I AM SO PISSED OFF IT AINT FUNNY!!! >:(

HOW DO SOME PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT?! BASTARDS!!!!!

If there was a war... I'd frag that SOB so fast, ...and I'd sleep like a baby afterwards!!!

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

needhelp wrote:Too late. those SOBs came and took the car out of my driveway.

I looked out the window and saw the tow truck, and ran downstairs and hopped into my car. I told them they were on private property and ordered them to leave, to no avail. They just hooked up the vehicle with me in it. one of the police officers present threatened to break the windows. I should have let her and allowed myself to to be hit in the face with some glass. I need the money. In any event, they took my vehicle, and now want to charge me $60/day for storage for the next 45 days before they sell it at auction in November, ...or charge me $200+ dollars for me to sign over title & ownership of the vehicle to them and have them keep the vehicle for whatever they want to do with it. What a racket! It's legislated theft & extortion, ...and I am NOT happy about this at all!

I'm gonna stop typing before I type something that could get me in trouble.

but I AM SO PISSED OFF IT AINT FUNNY!!! >:(

HOW DO SOME PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT?! BASTARDS!!!!!

If there was a war... I'd frag that SOB so fast, ...and I'd sleep like a baby afterwards!!!

It is illegal to tow a car with some-one in it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"