donna

Error On Ticket And Way Speed Was Calculated

by: donna on

I was stopped by an officer who was driving toward me, turned around, pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 49 km over limit.

1. Is this speed method accurate ?

2. The ticket states my car year is 2009, is that the expiry on plate?

My car is a 2006 model. If it is actual year of car can this mistake throw out the ticket?

3. I did not sign anything, has that gone by the wayside with new tickets?

Thanks for any help.

Donna

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

donna wrote:1. Is this speed method accurate ?

This is moving radar.

If the cruiser is equipped with radar front antenna, motor vehicles speed can be obtained in 2 directions

- Opposite direction approaching

- same direction going away from cruiser

If the cruiser is equipped with moving radar front and REAR antenna, motor vehicles speed can be obtained in 4 directions

- Opposite direction approaching (towards cruiser)

- Opposite direction going away from (after passed cruiser)

- same direction catching up to a cruiser (behind, same direction)

- same direction going away from cruiser (in front, same direction)

donna wrote:2. The ticket states my car year is 2009, is that the expiry on plate? My car is a 2006 model. If it is actual year of car can this mistake throw out the ticket?

Either (validation expiry or yr of vehicle) is accepted at court

donna wrote:

3. I did not sign anything, has that gone by the wayside with new tickets?

hmm.." new tickets".....for the last 11yrs I have never seen a place for a driver to sign

Last edited by hwybear on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
donna

by: donna on

thanks so much, great info so quickly, I'll suck it up and pay when I go and plead with explanation...no tickets in forever...thanks again! Donna

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Before you "suck it up and pay" you should know that "guilty with an explanation" won't reduce the fine. Speed fines are set by statue and cannot be reduced. Your explanation is pointless.

You have nothing to loose if you fight the ticket.

donna wrote:1. Is this speed method accurate?
As to the accuracy of the radar, [rather than setting off fireworks on this discussion board, it's a long weekend after all, the fireworks should be outside] let's just say that folks here agree to disagree. Radar is usually very accurate, but the question is whether it was you that was being tracked. The officer has to connect you to the reading he sees on the display. And that is usually the starting point for most radar ticket fights in court.

donna wrote:3. I did not sign anything, has that gone by the wayside with new tickets?
Some jurisdictions ask you to sign a receipt that the officer handed you the ticket. It is not an admission of guilt, just a document showing you were properly served.

Fight Your Ticket!
cadvmtor

by: cadvmtor on

combat: could you tell me were to go to find out more about the accuracy of the radar. I like what you people have to say.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Bookm wrote:There is a mountain of technical information and discussion on radar use and possible defense strategies

here:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/how ... ur-ticket/

It's an American site, so not everything stated will apply here.

Easier way than that.......

USE....

Rather than

then you will never ever have to worry about radar or lidar

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ticketcombat

Fight Your Ticket!
cadvmtor

by: cadvmtor on

Thank you for links. Can I ask for the officers day book for the day I got the ticket? Did he have more tickets for that day and what where the speeds. The radar has to be reset after every infraction. If not it will remain on whatever setting the last infraction occured or wherever the officer may set it. There is no date or time ticket that shows that the radar was for which vehicle. The radar should be plugged into their onboard computor. As radar has a wide beam, and the officer is behind another vehicle, is it reading the vehicle ahead and then when it detects a vehicle in the oncoming lane will there be a higher reading for a short period while it resets itself? If my odometer is correct, then my evidence is egual to the officers with radar. I have more questions for later. Thanks

ticketcombat

You are barking up the wrong tree. The only relevant part of the officer's book (other than your ticket) is the total number of tickets he wrote for the day and then only to try and prove some sort of quota system. It's a long shot.

You should assume the operator is competent and capable of resetting the device. The chances or arguing improper use is small. However, a strong disclosure request will make them work for the conviction. Focus on that aspect: training certificates, maintenance logs, repair history, internal memos reviewing that particular model.

The Crown will deem all of it irrelevant. You will argue improper disclosure. The last thing you want to do is end up at trial with the cop saying you were speeding and you saying "no I wasn't."

Fight Your Ticket!
Reflections

by: Reflections on

hwybear wrote:
Bookm wrote:There is a mountain of technical information and discussion on radar use and possible defense strategies

here:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/how ... ur-ticket/

It's an American site, so not everything stated will apply here.

Easier way than that.......

USE....

Rather than

then you will never ever have to worry about radar or lidar

Funny, I had you more for leather slippers......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply