Ontario Highway Traffic Act - Failing to signal
nav551

Failed To Signal Right At Stop Sign.

by: nav551 on

So yesterday, May 28th i got a ticket for not signaling right at a stop sign. This is what happened, I was parked at the mall which is close to the spot where i got the ticket, i parked in a spot where there was no parking, no sign just the lines on the road showed that it was a no parking. only because my cousin who was with me went into the convenience store to get something, while i was waiting in the car. the car creeped up behind me and did not do anything, so maybe 60sec later my cousin came out and we made our way out of the mall. I turned left and signaled out. so now the street im on has a little turn and about roughly 250feet from that little turn is the stop sign. I came to the stop sign and came to a full stop, my first intension was to go straight because i thought i seen my friend who i was suppose to meet up with, but i realized it wasnt him. before signaling and turning i looked in my rear view to see if there was anyone behind me (which there wasnt) i could light around the corner i was talking about. i seen a car coming cuz i could see the lights on the road. so i turned my signal and turned right. when i got up the street a little, the same cop who was behind me gave me the ticket. he said he was going to let me go for parking in the no parking spot but had to for not signaling. Now if was behind me or in clear distance to see my car, he would have noticed that i did infact signal before i turned. if i could add that he spelt the name of the street wrong and one of the numebers on my license wrong. it was suppose to be a "5" but clearly does not look that way. also, there are a few trees that would have blocked his line of sight.

I know this is pretty long but im just very fed up. I have a clean record done nothing wrong in the past, i also attend university of toronto in mississauga, and also a working citizen in mississauga. So not only do i pay my taxes i contribute to the economy of mississauga greatly. how much more money do they really want from me? the fee is $110 dollars and i learned i would be loosing 2 points for this. the fine does not really bother me as much as knowing i have to lose points where i was not wrong.

again sorry for making this so long.

and thanks =)

nav551

thank for the quick reply biron :)

you said i did not have signal....do you in the situation i was in i did not have to signal?

and thanks you have given me a little hope

Biron

Posting Awards

by: Biron on

That's right nav551. You did not have to signal.

Read the following carefully:

Signal for left or right turn

142. (1) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (1).

File your Notice of Intention to Appear (NIA) and when you receive a Notice of Trial, ask for disclosure and review the police officer's notes.

Cheers.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

nav551 wrote:. if i could add that he spelt the name of the street wrong and one of the numebers on my license wrong.

:roll:
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
nav551

oh man you guys are the best.....

and whats with the rolling of the eyes ? lol are you saying they will laugh at me? or can i use this to counter back ?

nav551

what should my next steps be? as i only have about 11days to do something about it.

Post a Reply