FiReSTaRT

Speed Trap: Sb Royal York, N Of The Queensway, Toronto

by: FiReSTaRT on

Another TPS special... Going after the dangerous school zone speeders (most likely giving them an earful about screaming dying CHILDREN!!!) on a straight stretch of well-illuminated road, 2 days before any of those high school punks will come anywhere near the area and most of them will be driving in anyway. Fortunately, it being the end of my trip, I was thinking about Murphy and expecting a trap at the spot where it was going to have the smallest possible positive impact on society, so I was going slow enough to avoid a personal chat with the hard-working constable 8)

Cars: I only saw one marked cruiser, which was weird but the constable seemed to be running a radar (no tripod).

Time: 9pm on a Sunday

Speed limit: 40

Note: We REALLY need variable speed limits to avoid these abuses of the legal system.

Edit: To keep this within rules.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

The problem with variable speed limits is it creates confusion, add the clock to the issue, if the speed limit is constant, it's actually more fair to everyone...

In a perfect world everyone gets tested to their ability matched to the vehicle dynamics and we have a constant changing computer guided traffic flow where the capable can drive to their capabilities, the old and feeble or those driving *EDIT* boxes are forced to keep it real...alas...that's a hundred years away...

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

Variable speed limits work quite well in other parts of the world, including the GTA. I think it was Eastern Sauga where I've seen one of those "40 when flashing, otherwise 50 or 60" signs and they're also all over Calgary. The Germans are even more technologically advanced than us and have signs that display limits according to the condition. That's an excellent way to keep the traffic moving safely. Heck, that's how you can have an 80km/h limit on the Autobahn system (if the conditions warrant it like built up area, snowing).

As motor vehicle operators, we're supposed to keep track of the changing road conditions and that would include the speed limits. If you can't see a flashing light, how can you see a stressed out soccer mom weaving in traffic with a minivan, yapping away on her cell phone?

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Reflections

by: Reflections on

As motor vehicle

operators, we're supposed to keep track of the changing road conditions and that would include the speed limits. If you can't see a flashing light, how can you see a stressed out soccer mom weaving in traffic with a minivan, yapping away on her cell phone?

That never happens......wait........ok I saw it just yesterday....

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FiReSTaRT wrote:Variable speed limits work quite well in other parts of the world, including the GTA. I think it was Eastern Sauga where I've seen one of those "40 when flashing, otherwise 50 or 60" signs and they're also all over Calgary.

Avenue Road in Toronto between Eglinton and Lawrence has a 50 km/h posted limit with "40 km/h when flashing."

Texas and Montana have variable day/night speed limits. Montana's interstate limits are 75 mph daytime, 70 mph night; Texas, depending on the area, is usually 70-80 mph daytime, and 65-70 mph night. Montana actually had its safest period of driving when they had no numerical posted speed limit during the daytime on interstates and rural highways, just "reasonable and prudent." People had to start paying attention and using their brains. What a concept...

I-10 in West Texas has the highest speed limit on the continent (80 MPH).

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply