A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

aasif_kamal

Falsely Accused Of Hitting A Car While Backing From Driveway

by: aasif_kamal on

We are falsely accused of hitting a car while backing from our driveway two days ago. They came to my house with police officer and pressurized her and get the Insurance information from my wife while I was away. I am trying to talk with the Police officer who came to my house but she is not calling me back. I am at lost and no idea what to do. I really appreciate if someone can give me some direction. Thanks.

aasif_kamal

No idea. The guy came with the Police and accused us that we hit the car 2 days ago while he was in my neighbour's house since he had a black paint on his car which is the colour of our car as well. The neighbour's house is just across the street. We know we din't hit any car. The Police took the insurance number from my wife even though she told them we didn't.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

No worries, call the police officer, offer them to take a paint sample from your vehicle. Tell them flatly that your vehicle was not responsible. Contact your insurance tell them the same. Find why they suspect you. Is there a witness?

aasif_kamal

Thanks. I have already told the Police officer that my vehicle is not responsible. There is no paint on my vehicle. They are suspecting my vehicle since there is a black paint on the other car and that car was parked just across the street. I was able to get a hold of officer after calling for last 2 days and she refused to listen to me. I have already contacted my insurance and I am going to take the car to the insurance agent tomorrow morning.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

Hmmm...black...waitaminute!! I have a black Jetta!!! Hope they don't suspect it was me...

Unless they have an eye witness they have nothing...

Fight this.

Where you charged?

aasif_kamal

What I can do about the Police? The Police officer doesn't want to listen to us and also told us that if we don't stop than she is going to charge us with hit and run. She also took the insurance number.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

Well it sounds like you haven't been charged. In which case you have nothing to worry about.

Contact your insurance. Advise them of the entire situation. Tell them they are welcome to send an adjustor out to inspect your vehicle.

If you weren't charged, then the police aren't causing you any grief.

I'm guessing there must be an eyewitness here, cause police don't go by the colour of nearby vehicles...

aasif_kamal

The Police officer is guessing based on their story and the location of our driveway. I have informed my insurance already and now waiting for a call back from them. We are dealing for something we have not done it. Very frustrating…….

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

Again, I'm not sure why.

You haven't been charged, and not exactly sure what the officer told you, they may have attended your residence to find out more about you and your car, but you haven't indicated anytihng so far where you've been accused.

aasif_kamal

The Officer did come to my house to take the insurance number. The officer told my wife that these kind of accidents are very common when there is no damage to the car like youre (Nissan Pathfinder) and you might have not noticed it when backing up your car from driveway. There is not even a single scratch on the left side of my car. They mentioned the accident happened at 3:00 p.m. but my wife goes at 3:30 p.m.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

What the officer said is true and without actually being there at the time of the collision I can't say...

I think you're issue here is that you haven't been charged so there's no allegation you did anything wrong, no driver or vehicle identified. I'd just wait and deal with this with the insurance.

aasif_kamal

Thanks FyreStorm. I really hope we won't be a victim of something we didn't done.

This is the first time I have to deal with this kind of situation. What is going to happened now? We had a clean driving history, Is it ruined now? Is my insurance is going to go higher now?

Frozenover

by: Frozenover on

aasif_kamal wrote:They came to my house with police officer and pressurized her and get the Insurance information from my wife while I was away.

Question: What are you required to do in this situation?

Can you tell the officer, "I know nothing about this. please leave", then shut the door?

Or are you required to provide them with DL, insurance etc?

If you told them to go away, I'd expect to be pulled over then next time I was out for a drive. But could the LEO complete the accident report and provide your insurance info to your neighbour when it was obtained at an unrelated traffic stop?

Bookm

by: Bookm on

I had a neighbor deny nailin' my car once. The tire tracks in the snow made him shut up real fast, LOL. He paid me $1,000.

Post a Reply