admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

Parking Infront Of Crosswalk/walkway, No Sign

by: admin on

I got a parking ticket on Halloween around 9pm for parking in front of a cross walk in a residential street. There's no sign or anything that says you can't park there.

You know the crosswalk/walkways in residential streets that are fenced on both sides and that simply lead you to another street on the other side is what I'm talking about.

The parking ticket officer must have seen me walk in because 5 mins later I came out and I had a ticket on my windshield :(

Is parking in front of cross walks/walk ways a no parking zone on a residential street? If so, shouldn't there be a no parking sign somewhere. How would somebody know you can't park there?

Reflections

by: Reflections on

I say there should be a sign, no sign no fault......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Proper1

by: Proper1 on

Were there any markings on the pavement that would designate where you parked as being a crosswalk?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

There were no markings or signs that said you can't park there.

The crosswalk is in between two houses. Plenty of space to park in between the houses and in front of the cross walk. It's a normal curb, grass, sidewalk then cross walk.

It's in the middle of two houses. Goes some thing like driveway, curb with cross walk, then driveway. No sign or markings that would make me think I can't park on the curb there.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

That's odd... Maybe take some photos of the scene. I can't think of anything that would show you did something wrong if there were no signs, signals or markings, unless you were within 9 metres of an intersection... which wasn't the case. I'm sure the crosswalk needs to be at least marked, if not signed, otherwise how would the "crosswalk" be "enforceable"?

BTW, does your city have a list of by-laws on line?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

You might want to check your city's bylaws. If there is in fact a bylaw against parking in front of (what do you even call those?), then it's possible that no "no parking" sign is needed - just the existence of that cross-thing is enough. Toronto uses 15 m from the intersection for parking, but many times the green-circle parking signs are put up before the 15 m mark. I think those tickets still stand up in court.

Do tickets against a city bylaw list the bylaw number and section?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

It looks like all No-Parking Zones in Guelph are only valid if a "Traffic Control Device" (sign) is displayed. I haven't read the entire document as the text size hurts my eyes, but that's what the wording of s. 36 and 37 makes it sound like.

A friend of mine disputed a ticket in Waterloo where the No-Parking sign was over on the other side of a crescent, way out of sight. We had lived on this side of the crescent for a year or two and had never ventured over to the other side, and never knew about the sign. I think he won that case.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Squishy wrote:It looks like all No-Parking Zones in Guelph are only valid if a "Traffic Control Device" (sign) is displayed. .

does not have to be a sign.... here is the definition in the bylaw

Traffic Control Device" means any sign, traffic control signal, Roadway, Curb or Sidewalk marking, or other device erected or placed under the authority of this By-law or of the City for the purpose of guiding, directing or regulating Traffic;

fyi

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

So I decided to pay this $20 parking ticket.

I went to the City of Guelph website to pay parking tickets online.

https://online.parksmart.ca/204_en.php

Then I saw:

A convenience fee of $2.50 is applied to every transaction.

They should not be allowed to pass on the transaction fees to us. That is the Cities operation cost. Why do we have to pay it?

The parking ticket is already a rip off and now I have to pay MORE for the LUXURY of being able to pay online! I think that just sucks!

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

admin wrote:Then I saw:

They should not be allowed to pass on the transaction fees to us. That is the Cities operation cost. Why do we have to pay it?

The parking ticket is already a rip off and now I have to pay MORE for the LUXURY of being able to pay online! I think that just sucks!

not any different than banks charging us every time we use debit

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

hwybear wrote:
admin wrote:Then I saw:

not any different than banks charging us every time we use debit

You pay per-use on your debit transactions? That's a rip-off.

This country needs to have its own bank that would handle all these financial dealings free of charge.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply