Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

142 (1) - Unsafe Right Turn
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:40 pm 

Hey Everyone,

I just got a ticket for $110.00 for making an "unsafe turn" according to the Officer.

Since this is my first offense, I am quite shaken up, especially since the officer was yelling at me. I'll attempt to recall what happened accurately.

I'm at a red light with my right signal on and I check my right then my left. I see a white car in the distance (looks about 6-8 car lengths away) and was going speed limit. I make a turn to the right and I suddenly hear a loud honking. That had me dazed a bit but I had my left signal on by then because the plaza I wanted to turn into was probably about 10-12 feet away from my initial position. I completed my turn and then I suddenly see flashing lights. I come to find out that the honking was from a police officer.

Now, the encounter was an interesting one. The officer trotted up in anger yelling at me saying that I must be "kidding him." He claimed to have his lights on (which he did not according to the person I was picking up from the plaza) and that I made an unsafe turn. Outside of that, I can't remember much of what he said because he kept yelling at me. I didn't say anything else after that. He just handed me my ticket and sent me packing.

Now I'm looking at option 2 which has me pleading guilty and "make submissions as to penalty." From my understanding, I can have my penalties waived entirely. What worries me most is the demerit points. I wish I could just get off with a warning of some sort. Is there anything I can do?

By the way, the fine is a pain in the buttocks. The only way I can pay for it is by using my OSAP money, which is meant for rent, bills, and food. I only work 5 hours a week and that only equals to $50.00 and that is also for food and sometimes for some luxury. $110.00 is a major hit to my pocket especially since I pay $125.00 insurance a month (since I'm a second driver under my mother's car).

I think the whole issue is that I misjudged the oncoming vehicles speed. The speed limit is 50km/h and I judged it to be around 60km/h. Unfortunately, the car, according to a witness, was around 90-110km/h, which is a fatal error on my behalf. As such, it seems obvious that I made an unsafe turn. I just simply wish to see if I could do something to some how waive the cost or demerit points. Or should I just forget about it and pay the fine and learn from my mistake?