A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hwybear

Posting Awards

Winter... Slow Down .... Move Over....dont Drive

by: hwybear on

Well in short, got called out yesterday to assist on Hwy 402. The 402 was closed for heavy snowfall, blowing snow and collisions. This is not my normal area and took me 1 1/2hr to get to the area.

- snow plows could not keep up with the roads

- hwy was snow covered (3-15cm)

- where it appeared clear was ice

- some areas were 3-5cm hard packed snow, full of "potholes" to pavement

- snowbanks were 1 - 1.5 metres high

I went vehicle after vehicle in the ditch.

Lights on:

- stopped on shoulder and one vehicle clips my mirror (close enough yet)

- stopped on shoulder for traffic control, vehicle drives directly beside me and does a 360, before driving directly beside 2 other units

- providing a rolling block (slow down of traffic to safely remove pylons to reopen hwy, as people are walking picking up pylons), one vehicle weaving all over trying to "see down road", another one tries to pass on shoulder

- driving in passing lane 70km, overtaking a 65km vehicle, vehicle approaches from behind at 100km+, rides my bumper, flashing headlights for me to go faster...and I'm responding to a call for service.

If you have to drive at all, check the weather, leave lots of time, grab a hotel and when you see RED BLUE, slow down even more and move over.

02JAN10

A Nipigon OPP officer is released from hospital after the vehicle he was in was hit by a tractor trailer. The officer was on the side of the road for a traffic stop on Highway 11, in the Orient Bay area at 2:15 p.m. on Saturday. The officer was inside an OPP vehicle with lights flashing when the vehicle was struck from behind by the tractor trailer, police say. The officer was taken to Nipigon District Memorial Hospital by ambulance and treated for minor injuries. The driver of the tractor trailer was not injured. The OPP vehicle received major damage. The investigation is on going.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply