I'm thinking of taking some BIG RISKS-please help

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm thinking of taking some BIG RISKS-please help

by: Risktaker on
Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I have recently received a notice for licence cancellation under the "novice driver escalating sanctions act"
I received my license in July of 2012 and in that time I have unfortunately accumulated 4 tickets under the hwy traffic act: 2 speeding 0-15 km, failure to produce license, and a blood alcohol charge (I blew a 26 and as a G2 driver you cannot have any alcohol in the system). I'm aware that the way I've been driving is extremely irresponsible and I'm not looking for a lecture, I'm looking for advice.

I am an Ironworker apprentice and I need my driving privileges in order to maintain a source of income, so at this point I am deciding to drive regardless of what the law is saying I can or cannot do.

Here are my questions:
I have not yet surrendered my cancelled licence to the MTO. Will this increase my wait time for applying for a G2 road test? (Mandatory 12 month wait period or 8 months if you complete a driving school program)

Will my insurance automatically cancel me or do I need to call them to let them know of my current situation?
If they don't find out and I continue to be a policy holder with their company could I be charged with fraud?

I have done my research and if I'm caught driving with a cancelled licence I could receive an additional 9 month suspension on top of the 12 month waiting period, 45-180 day vehicle impoundment and a charge of around $500.
Would I be better off driving with my cancelled licence, or driving with only a G1?
I understand both are illegal but I'm not going to jeopardize my career by missing work.

Although my licence is cancelled, do I have any options in regards to some temporary license for someone in my situation that needs to drive in order to maintain a source of income?
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:42 am

by: tdottopcop on
Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm

- you will not be charged for fraud by your insurance company. If you are caught driving without insurance, the first conviction is a minimum $5000 fine. So remain insured.

- In addition to the fines and extended suspensions for driving while under suspension, you can also be put in jail for up to six months.

You are taking some serious risks. When a police officer runs your licence plate through the system, it will show all of your drivers licence issues if you are the registered owner.... by changing the registered owner to someone who is lawfully licenced, this information won't readily be available. Or rent a car. And try driving responsibly for a change.

I recommend taking transit or have family/friends assist you by giving you rides to and from work until you get your issues sorted out. Getting caught with some of these offences have some pretty hefty consequences that can haunt you the rest of your life.
No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
User avatar
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!


by: hwybear on
Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

a few things come to mind here...

- potentially if you were even to strike a "deer" or someone hits you, your insurance might have a clause in the agreement that no coverage will be paid, so you would be out your vehicle, then if injuries to someone else, seems like a huge liability there

here is HTA OREG 340/94
9. (1) The Registrar shall, after giving notice, suspend or cancel the drivers licence of a novice driver as provided in subsection (2) in the following circumstance:
1. The novice driver is convicted of any of the offences described
(2) (a) upon a novice drivers first conviction for any of the offences described, suspend the drivers licence of the person for 30 days;
11. (1) The Registrar shall state the effective date of the licence suspension or cancellation in the notice given under subsection 9 (1)
(3) A licence suspended under subsection 9 (1) shall not be reinstated,
(a) in the case of a suspension described in clause 9 (2) (a), until 30 days have elapsed from the date the licence is surrendered on account of the suspension or two years have elapsed from the date of the suspension, whichever occurs first;
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 pm

by: Risktaker on
Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am

I received a notice yesterday regarding a notice of cancellation dated for January 16th. I will have to wait a 12 month period or 8'month if I enter a drive school program. Will these waiting periods be extended if I wait longer to hand in my license??
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests