A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hwybear

Posting Awards

Owning Up

by: hwybear on

Haha...my turn for the question..

I grew up in a structured family where you tell the truth, own up to your mistakes and take the consequences and move on.

Why are people not being forthright with the truth and accepting responsibility for their actions? Does not show a very good example to their children either...

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

people will never admit they are wrong...I see people on this forum all the time claiming they didn't violate the traffic law and its not their fault and bla bla bla....

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Easy answer... The Insurance Industry. There was a time (early 80's) when owning up and paying for you indiscretions would certainly sting!... but your insurance company didn't take advantage of the odd ticket or two. Today, insurance companies take, take, take. Most folks won't even report accident damage less then $4,000 because they're terrified of where their rates will go.

So once someone recognizes how they're being taken advantage of, they just might come to the conclusion that they need to form strategies to protect themselves.

Example:

Officer:"Do you know fast you were driving?"

(the old days): "Yah, I'm sure it was pretty fast... sorry 'bout that"

- You got your ticket, drove to the court house, and paid up. You hated it, - but you knew you had to pay up. You're conscience told you so.

Officer:"Do you know fast you were driving?"

(today): "Oh, I'm quite certain I wasn't over the speed limit"

- You get your ticket, drive to the court house, and plead not-guilty.

- You know how important (financially) it is to save yourself from your insurance company. You sacrifice a small part of your dignity in a desperate attempt to maintain a reasonable life style.

It's not just civilians that should be questioned. An officer from a neighboring city was recently charged with reckless driving, impaired driving, and leaving the scene of an accident. So why didn't he just tell the truth and accept the consequences? Because the stakes are so high these days. Life-altering-high.

Ultimately, I fully trust what my wife says and what most of my long-time friends say (from the old days). That's about it.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Bookm is right on as usual :wink:

Times have changed and insurance is our biggest concern these days.

I once had to pay upto $400 for insurance per month, back in the day when I was 19ish, and I however did own up lol...I didnt know what to do at the time, because I was stupid I guess.

I think most people dont also own up because they just dont know what to do, and how if it will affect them.

Everyone knows pleading guilty will just screw you up, so its why most dont tell the truth to officers and even their traffic ticket agents, they are scared, and dont want their insurance rates to up. Everyone hopes and wishes for that loop hole thats going to get them off.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Well at least that makes a lot more sense from your perspective. But at roadside I give honest people more breaks.

BTW, no such this a "reckless driving" you must be watching "cops" too much!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

I have paid most of my tickets because I know I was in the wrong. Although, I do know that even the police can be wrong, on occasion not all the time, and you can't make that arguement roadside. So if the officer is polite and not condisending I'll probably pay the ticket. However, if the officer wants to use heavy-handed tactics, bark orders or talk down to me, it's off to court we go. It's not the right or wrong it's the common courtesies that will make the decision.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

WOW, that is awful....best wishes for a quick recovery

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”