Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

number plate violation sec 13(2)
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 pm 

I got pulled over by a highway police on local route and got ticket for obstructed number plate sec 13(2). Officer told me that my number plate was half broken and I wasnt aware of it, had no idea how did it happen. When I came home and checked my number plate it was really half broken!! If I were aware of it, I would have replaced it already. Though I wasnt aware of it , I got a ticket. Now I have a bit of confusion wether to pay off 110$ :( or fight for it?? Please give me suggestions..

Re: number plate violation sec 13(2)
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:57 pm 
High Authority

To fight it in Court, you would have to show due diligence; in other words that you made reasonable efforts to check on your plate prior to operating your motor vehicle. The outcome at trial would be very dependent on how long your plate had been damaged for and how it had been damaged in the first place. For instance, it it had rusted through months ago, you'd have a hard time arguing you didn't notice or hadn't had a chance to replace it. If you were driving home and a piece of roadway hit your debris, you could reasonably argue you were unaware and/or hadn't had the opportunity to deal with it.

I would suggest replacing the plate right away. If you approach the Crown, show that everything is taken care of, there is a very good chance they would at least offer you a reduced fine. They may even offer to withdraw the charge if you can present a reasonable explanation as to why it was damaged. Just be aware even if they reduce the fine, you'd still have the conviction on your record. It's not a serious offence, but some insurance companies look at all convictions.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 am 

Thank you for suggestion..what option (back of the ticket, option 1,2 and 3) would I go for?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 am 

number plate wasnt rusted and it was in perfect condition before. I just had no idea how did it happen? if I tell them I wasnt aware of it, will they reduce fine or withdraw the charge?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 am 
High Authority

I would suggest option 3 and request a first attendance meeting with the Crown. There is no guarantee of anything, but I imagine they would at least offer a reduced fine.