Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Impaired Info?
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 am
Posts: 222
Whats needed to be charged with impaired?
Breathalyser(sp?)Blood test, Sobriety test?
Any info or links would be appreciated!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
That is pretty vague question....can you be more specific?

I have gotten 2 drunks off the road during the last 2 day shifts....very unusual.

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 am
Posts: 222
Can you charge someone with just your observation, all over the road
the odor of booze in the vechicle,breath,a wobbley pop walk!
Or does some test need to be done before a charge can be laid?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm 
Offline
VIP
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Guelph, Ontario
BelSlySTi wrote:
Or does some test need to be done before a charge can be laid?

OF course! but "all over the road the odor of booze in the vechicle,breath,a wobbley pop walk!" all lead to the test... (Breathalyzer, lest you refuse, then the blood test, which you cannot refuse)

_________________
"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:34 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
racer wrote:
BelSlySTi wrote:
Or does some test need to be done before a charge can be laid?

OF course! but "all over the road the odor of booze in the vechicle,breath,a wobbley pop walk!" all lead to the test... (Breathalyzer, lest you refuse, then the blood test, which you cannot refuse)


On that scenario...arrest for impaired driving.

If the person refuses the breath test....arrest refusal to compy with a breath demand. Carry same penalty as impaired.
****************************************************
so there are a few sections that someone can be charged with: (or combination of some of these)
- Impaired Driving
- Drive over 80mgs of alcohol in 100ml of blood
- Refuse to provide sample of breath into Approved screening device (roadside)
- Refuse to provide sample of breath into Breathalyzer/Intoxilyzer (office)

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:03 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 486
Location: Toronto
Impaired driving requires a combination of driving observations: weaving, erratic driving, etc, and and physical observations: alcoholic odor, dilated pupils, slurred speech, etc.

Over 80 doesn't require proof of impairment, just proof of alcohol concentration. But there has to be suspicion of alcohol to demand the test in the first place. A roadside test "fail" is not sufficient proof to convict for over 80. It leads to arrest and a further demand for "an approved instrument" test. At which point you have a right to legal counsel. Just ask Maggie Trudeau who got off a drunk driving charge.

Refusal to provide a sample can be combined with an impaired driving charge. But double jeopardy prevents an impaired driving charge being combined with an over 80 for the same incident.

_________________
Fight Your Ticket!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Posts: 1048
Location: Ontario, Canada
ticketcombat wrote:
Impaired driving requires a combination of driving observations: weaving, erratic driving, etc, and and physical observations: alcoholic odor, dilated pupils, slurred speech, etc.

Over 80 doesn't require proof of impairment, just proof of alcohol concentration. But there has to be suspicion of alcohol to demand the test in the first place. A roadside test "fail" is not sufficient proof to convict for over 80. It leads to arrest and a further demand for "an approved instrument" test. At which point you have a right to legal counsel. Just ask Maggie Trudeau who got off a drunk driving charge.

Refusal to provide a sample can be combined with an impaired driving charge. But double jeopardy prevents an impaired driving charge being combined with an over 80 for the same incident.


I have to say that is one of the best explanations I have heard about an Impaired Driving charge.

A+ post!

_________________
Visit us at: Ontario Ticket OR OHTA OR Ontario Traffic Act OR Highway Traffic Act


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:44 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
ticketcombat wrote:
Impaired driving requires a combination of driving observations: weaving, erratic driving, etc, and and physical observations: alcoholic odor, dilated pupils, slurred speech, etc.


Just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsPRVEHDT2s

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
ticketcombat wrote:
But double jeopardy prevents an impaired driving charge being combined with an over 80 for the same incident.


That does not make sense. The charges of impaired driving and driving over 80mgs is laid all the time for the same incident. 2 different offences.
One being incapacitated motor skills and the other is level of alcohol over the legal limit.

Please explain or point me to some case law so I can be up to speed, thanks, Bear

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:32 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 1
Does someone with a G2 in Ontario get their license suspended if they have any alcohol at all? or is it just a ticket if they are below the legal limit (0.08?) or is there a lower limit and a ticket? points off license?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 am
Posts: 222
simply_greek29 wrote:
Does someone with a G2 in Ontario get their license suspended if they have any alcohol at all? or is it just a ticket if they are below the legal limit (0.08?) or is there a lower limit and a ticket? points off license?


Yes it would be suspended for any amount alcohol!
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .9.4.shtml

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:46 am 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 486
Location: Toronto
hwybear wrote:
ticketcombat wrote:
But double jeopardy prevents an impaired driving charge being combined with an over 80 for the same incident.


That does not make sense. The charges of impaired driving and driving over 80mgs is laid all the time for the same incident. 2 different offences.
One being incapacitated motor skills and the other is level of alcohol over the legal limit.

Please explain or point me to some case law so I can be up to speed, thanks, Bear
Bear, my apologies, I did not know further posts were made on this thread until today. I've got to get a better system to monitor them!

Section 11(h) of the Charter:
Quote:
11. Any person charged with an offence has the right
(h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again;
Section 11(h) applies only in circumstances where the two offences with which the accused is charged are the same. The word "offence" in s.11(h) means conduct prohibited by law on pain of punishment. Section 11(h) applies only if the offences involved are identical, in that they contain the same elements and constitute one and the same offence arising out of the same set of circumstances.

Here's an excellent discussion by the federal digest on the topic.

I also suggest reading R. v. Stellato, 1993 which deals with questions of impairment. In that judgement they quote R. v. Winlaw (1988) where Salhany states:
Quote:
Indeed it is significant to note that s. [253](a) makes it an offence to operate a motor vehicle while one's ability to operate the vehicle "is impaired by alcohol or a drug." The section does not require that there be a "marked impairment" or any other degree of impairment. Impairment is impairment and any kind of impairment, even slight is enough to constitute the offence.
Basically s. 253 of the Criminal code deals with impairment as the inability to operate the vehicle OR having over 80. It's the same charge.

_________________
Fight Your Ticket!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:41 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Caledonia, Ontario
Something I've long wondered about -- do we in Ontario make people suspected of impaired driving do the same physical tests that we see on COPS on TV from the Excited States? I don't think I'm likely to fall under suspicion any time soon if I don't drink, but I do drive, and ... you never know! If I were told right now to get off my chair, tip my head back, close my eyes and stand unsupported on one foot for 30 seconds while holding the other foot 6 inches off the floor, I'd probably fail. And I'm not sure I could pass some of the other tests, either. Just wondering.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
Proper1 wrote:
Something I've long wondered about -- do we in Ontario make people suspected of impaired driving do the same physical tests that we see on COPS on TV from the Excited States? I don't think I'm likely to fall under suspicion any time soon if I don't drink, but I do drive, and ... you never know! If I were told right now to get off my chair, tip my head back, close my eyes and stand unsupported on one foot for 30 seconds while holding the other foot 6 inches off the floor, I'd probably fail. And I'm not sure I could pass some of the other tests, either. Just wondering.


Only this test.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxizlKbqbqo :lol:

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:30 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Caledonia, Ontario
Well, I can't dance like that guy but I can't recite the alphabet backwards either, so I guess I'm drunk right now!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Impaired boating

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

ditchMD

19

1241

Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:50 am

Lawman View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Charged with almost impaired?

BelSlySTi

5

628

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:43 pm

CoolChick View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. questions about charges: impaired accident

trevthefatty

1

411

Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm

hwybear View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Leaving the scene of an accident and impaired

ConcernedDad

2

906

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:32 am

hwybear View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Report impaired or cancel insurance policy

Darkvoice

5

666

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:42 pm

admin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Unlawful Arrest for Impaired or Refusing to Blow

lawmen

2

1172

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:56 pm

lawmen View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Can I appeal a convicted 3rd impaired from 7 years ago

nitpicker

10

1720

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 pm

nitpicker View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Wrong Info?

bob-boy

0

283

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 am

bob-boy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. CVSA/CMV Info

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

Simon Borys

16

3766

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am

cid45468 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. wrong info in the ticket

bcuk

1

450

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 am

Reflections View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Hello Driver's Liscense Info Needed.

helpneeded

14

987

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:04 am

Bookm View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Disobeyed Sign-want to fight it but need info first

freedom elz

1

554

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.