A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

blindlemonsimpson

Help/advice Needed: Speeding Ticket 15km/h, 25 Birthday Soon

by: blindlemonsimpson on

Hey everyone, just needed some advice.

Backstory: I was late to class on December 1, and I got a ticket that was reduced to 15km/h over instead of the 22km/h that I was going.

I was legitimately speeding and got caught, so I don't really want to go to court and fight it (I don't want the prosecutor to raise the ticket up to 22km/h and give me demerit points, and I don't think I'm lucky enough to score a technicality that can get me off). I would just pay it, which sucks, but it's my first offence ever and I have a clean record with a full G licence for several years so I'm hoping it wouldn't blip my insurance too much.

However, on December 16, I'll turn 25. My parents and all my friends say that at 25, your insurance usually lowers. Can anyone confirm this as true? And if it is, then my question is: should I pay the ticket now within the 14 day time limit and risk it affecting my insurance review, or should I request a meeting with the prosecutor/fight the ticket until after my birthday, and then pay it later, say, in January? If I choose a meeting with the prosecutor/fighting the ticket, does that completely close off the "just pay it" option?

Can anyone help? I don't want to make the wrong choice. Thanks in advance!!

Post a Reply