Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

No Right Turn - Disobey Sign
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm 

Hi There,
I was driving on Eglinton W and turn right on Strathearn (near Eglinton/Allen Road). There was a no right turn (from 3pm to 7pm) sign which I didn't see.
The cop was waiting there, apparently nobody sees the signs but they are there.
I don't believe I have much to do here but, trying to find a way... I discover that Regulation 615 (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 21 (2); O. Reg. 332/98, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 339/09, s. 15 (2) - No clue what all the other letters mean) specifies the dimensions of the sign http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900615_e.htm#BK6, in addition, the regulation says:
"The dimensions of a sign may be greater than the dimensions prescribed and illustrated in this Regulation so long as each dimension is increased and, when increased, has the same relation to the other dimensions of the sign as the dimensions prescribed and illustrated in this Regulation have to each other. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 44."
Well, looking at the pictures of the sign, I can clearly see that the separation between the text line don't have the same relation to the other dimensions (you can check it on Google if you wish). What I see is that the separation is less than specified.
I know I can read the sign well, but do you think this discrepancy with Reg 165 gives me any chance to win? Please let me know your thoughts (and if you have any other suggestion or strategy to fight this ticket please let me know too)
I just came back from the court and requested a trial (an an interpreter to make them work)
Thanks.

Re: No Right Turn - Disobey Sign
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:31 pm 

I got my Notice of trial... Feb 2013... any ideas on how to deal with this ticket?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 pm 

Request disclosure and go from there.

And don't use a "language barrier" as a means to assist you in avoiding getting penalized for breaking the law, unless you really do require it. Pretty despicable in my opinion, and costs everybody in the city of Toronto extra expense through taxes as a result of paying the interpreter (they are paid for each matter they assist with, they are not just getting paid while sitting around all day at court waiting for the likes of you).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am 

Actually, there is a language barrier... even though I can speak English with no problems my level is not as good as a native English speaker, in particular when considering the legal language used in court.
I requested disclosure via fax today. Assuming I don't get it, should I do this 3 or 4 times before the trial date to show my interest in moving things forward?
Does anyone have any idea if the discrepancies between the sign and the Regulation 615 (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 615, s. 21 (2); O. Reg. 332/98, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 339/09, s. 15 (2) can get this ticket dropped?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:23 am 

I sent a fax requesting disclosure and exactly one week later I received a letter informing that the disclosure is ready to be picked up at the Prosecutor's Office.
Does anyone have to go and pick up the disclosure at the Prosecutor's office? What happens there? Can I negotiate something right there? What if I'm not satisfied with the disclosure because there are missing items? How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:16 pm 

This your date on Feb 21st?

I think I got the same officer