Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
BlueDawn

Disobey Sign 182 (2) - Mississauga - Turn And No Turn Signs

by: BlueDawn on

While stopped at the light I made a quick decision to turn right into Square One to visit someone, and was caught in the police sting. Had to wait in a line up of cars for the ticket. One cop stopped me, and he also gave me the ticket. There was another cop at the location, but he was just leaving.

There are right turn signs and no right turn signs at the intersection. The no right turn signs are temporary signs mounted on a steal frame. Hoping the conflicting signs will help in court?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments
10_robert1.jpg
10_robert1.jpg (167.17 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
BlueDawn

jsherk wrote:In my opinion they should have covered the right turn sign.

Would I fight it? Absolutely!

Would I win? Maybe, maybe not.

Generally they cover or turn the unneeded or conflicting signs around. Could there be a chance to argue the signs were not officially placed by the ministry? Maybe the construction workers moving down the highway from sight to sight placed the signs.

argyll wrote:The right turn sign is a lane sign referring to a lane that is clearly blocked off. Not a hope a JP will buy that.

You are likely right. Is there a rule for which sign to follow when there are conflicting signs. I could not find it.

bobajob wrote:thats a no right turn sign plain and simple? how did you miss it, or did you just ignore it?

I was not intending to turn when I approached the intersection, so did not read all the signs before the intersection. While stopped at the lights I decided to turn into Square One, checked the intersection that all was clear, no signs prohibiting the turn were visible at this point, and made the turn.

BlueDawn

The officer never sent disclosure, he didn't show up in court, case dismissed.

Found in the Ontario Traffic Manual - Temporary Conditions, that in drawings the no right turn sign is shown at the corner of an intersection, so it would be visible to a car stopped at the lights. The signs at this intersection were about a car length back from the intersection at the beginning of the island.

Called the works department and was told for short duration projects, they do not necessarily have to cover conflicting signs. This was to be a short duration project, but turned into a long duration project.

Was looking forward to fight my case in court, but am happy with the easy win.

Post a Reply