Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
jfung218

Fail To Disobey Sign Toronto (no Left Turn Between 4-6pm)

by: jfung218 on

I got a ticket for turning left between 4-6pm last night at Toronto. I'm not familiar with the area and it was pretty dark outside so i couldnt see the sign.

So when I got pulled over by the cop he asked for my driver license, insurance etc. I still didn't know what's going on until I asked him what is this about. When he asked me if i knew there was a sign saying no turning left between 4-6 I told him i didn't know. Shouldn't he tell me what's going on when pulled me over?

When he gave me the ticket, all he said was here's the ticket and if you disagree you have 15 days to fight it. Shouldn't he tell me what was the fine?

The last thing I asked him that he can't give me a warning and then he made a judgement that I saw your record that you had another disobey sign in Markham so this isn't your first time. Can he say something like that? He just assumed that I will always disobey sign because I had a ticket before.

Also the ticket had my name incorrect. Does that count.

I heard from my friend that Toronto police is so busy that they barely show up for traffic ticket at court. is that true?

I'm planning to fight for my ticket, does anyone know how i can get my disclosure statement? When I received my disclosure statement what should i look for that can help with my case?

Thanks

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

jfung218 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 amSo when I got pulled over by the cop he asked for my driver license, insurance etc. I still didn't know what's going on until I asked him what is this about. When he asked me if i knew there was a sign saying no turning left between 4-6 I told him i didn't know. Shouldn't he tell me what's going on when pulled me over?

In Ontario, an officer can pull over any vehicle at any time to check for license, insurance, and ownership. Even so, the officer apparently witnesses you committing an offense. So if the officer here asks for your paperwork and comes back with a ticket, there wouldn't be anything wrong with that if that's their choice. There's no obligation on the officers part to explain or engage in a back and forth. Some officers might, others may leave it for your court date.

jfung218 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 amWhen he gave me the ticket, all he said was here's the ticket and if you disagree you have 15 days to fight it. Shouldn't he tell me what was the fine?

An officer is not obligated to go over the fine, demerit points, etc. The fine is on the ticket. Some may do so, others may not.

jfung218 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 amThe last thing I asked him that he can't give me a warning and then he made a judgement that I saw your record that you had another disobey sign in Markham so this isn't your first time. Can he say something like that? He just assumed that I will always disobey sign because I had a ticket before.

An officer may use their discretion to either give a roadside reduction or to let you off with a warning. Seeing how you've already received a similar ticket recently, a warning on top of a previous conviction is rather meaningless and you've left the officer with their hands tied.

jfung218 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 amAlso the ticket had my name incorrect. Does that count.

No.

jfung218 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 amI heard from my friend that Toronto police is so busy that they barely show up for traffic ticket at court. is that true?

This is a common misconception. Officers are at court more often than not. It's their job, they are required to do so, and they get paid for it just like anything else.

jfung218 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 amI'm planning to fight for my ticket, does anyone know how i can get my disclosure statement? When I received my disclosure statement what should i look for that can help with my case?

The easiest way is to visit the city website here. They will even provide you with a form on the same website. Fill it out and submit to the Prosecutor's Office based on the court house you're attending. If you can't fax it, you can inquire about emailing, snail mail, or delivering it in person. 2700 Eglinton for example has a window at the prosecutors office with an employee and forms available to fill out in person.

jfung218

by: jfung218 on

Thanks for the response.

If they have my name incorrect...will the ticket be void?

I've try to book an appointment for early resolution with the prosecutor online at toronto.ca/courtcaselookup. When i type the court # etc. it gave me an error message saying "invalid court location"...what does that mean? I type exactly what the ticket shows.

If this is an error would there be any benefit to me? Would that consider a fatal error?

Post a Reply