A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Leigh

Should I Try To Have My Ticket Lowered?

by: Leigh on

Hi,

I was pulled over the other day doing 79kms in a 60 zone. I haven't had a ticket since I was sixteen and I'm 40 this month--not that that means anything I guess--but I really usually am a careful driver. I'm a mom with two young kids. I was in Scarborough at Beare Road and Plug Hat Road--taking my kids to the zoo. It's a country road with no houses where i was driving. There were two police officers. One with a radar gun and the other writing tickets. I'm not sure if it was the same man who shot my car and wrote the ticket--or if both were involved. They caught me at 79kms and didn't drop the ticket at all. He was VERY apologetic and I even thanked him as I drove away!

I really can't afford for my insurance to go up. I would like to at least ask to have my ticket lowered 4kms so I don't lose points. But I was speeding-- If I do choose to go to court what can I say for myself? I can't say I wasn't speeding. Am I wasting everyones time to try and have my ticket lowered?

Thanks so much for your help,

Leigh

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

You need to dispute the ticket and request a first attendance meeting prior to trial. You'll have an opportunity to meet with the Crown attorney and request a reduction. If you agree to plead guilty, it's very likely the Crown will reduce your ticket to 15 over.

FYI, don't get too hung up on points. Insurance companies keep track of all convictions, but they rank them as either major or minor offences. Most overlook your first minor offence, and on the second or third conviction you could be looking at a 5-10% increase. Your speeding offence, even if it doesn't get reduced, would still likely be classified as a minor offence. Contact your insurance provider to confirm.

Post a Reply