Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

exceeding speed limit by 15km/h-Trial or Pay?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:46 pm 

was pulled over on 401 around cobourg (3 lanes). I was on the passing lane with one vehicle in the front and couple others on my back. I'm not sure how fast I was travelling but definitely not 135km/h (according to the initial conversation with the officer). The car in front of me merged to the middle lane and I was planning to merge once I passed him, but unfortunately was pulled over 5 secs later.

The officer told me that the speed was 135 according to radar (? I guess cuz there is an officer on the bridge over the highway with some devices). He took my license and registration and after a while, he came back and said he reduced the speed to 115km/h with 50~ fine. I left after that and now considering options I have.

There are several things that I doubt:
1) First, I was in the middle of the flow on the passing lane and there are vehicles in front/after me. The only thing I could do is driving in the speed of everyone does (or I will be rear-ended).
2) Second, there are three vehicles who were originally in the passing lane but decide to pass on the far right lane. They were not pulled over at all!

Should I go for a trial?
=================NOTES:
I saw another 4~5 were pulled over around that area later on my way, so please proceed with caution in that area (cobourg/Port Hope)

Re: exceeding speed limit by 15km/h-Trial or Pay?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 pm 
High Authority

I recommend that you plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your Notice of Trial, then you can request disclosure (officers notes and information about radar device used).

BAD NEWS
The reasons you give above in (1) and (2) are not helpful to your ticket at all... they are irrelevent.
If you go to trial and LOSE you will be charged with the original higher speed of 135 (if the officer has that in his notes).
15 over is 0 demerits but can still cause your insurance to go up, so over three years how much will ticket really cost you?

GOOD NEWS
Both officers need to show for trial to testify.
You have the right to see disclosure (officers notes) before you go to trial and decide if there is a good defense available.
You can plead guilty to the 15 over charge at any time up to the trial.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 am 

jsherk wrote:
I recommend that you plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your Notice of Trial, then you can request disclosure (officers notes and information about radar device used).

BAD NEWS
The reasons you give above in (1) and (2) are not helpful to your ticket at all... they are irrelevent.
If you go to trial and LOSE you will be charged with the original higher speed of 135 (if the officer has that in his notes).
15 over is 0 demerits but can still cause your insurance to go up, so over three years how much will ticket really cost you?

GOOD NEWS
Both officers need to show for trial to testify.
You have the right to see disclosure (officers notes) before you go to trial and decide if there is a good defense available.
You can plead guilty to the 15 over charge at any time up to the trial.

Thank you Jsherk! So when I request the disclosure from prose. should I ask them to clearify how many officers are involved? Will they hide saying there is only one PO?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm 
High Authority

Just request the "notes of all officers involved" and the "make, model, serial number and manual of speed measuring device used".

They should send you the notes of both, as one officers needs to testify about your speed and about the device used and the other officer needs to testify about identifying you and about writing the ticket.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 pm 

Just a heads up. It's not likely that you will get a manual or testing instructions any more due to a recent court decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:19 pm 

jsherk wrote:
Just request the "notes of all officers involved" and the "make, model, serial number and manual of speed measuring device used".

They should send you the notes of both, as one officers needs to testify about your speed and about the device used and the other officer needs to testify about identifying you and about writing the ticket.

Thanks again! Will post notes once I got them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm 

Decatur wrote:
Just a heads up. It's not likely that you will get a manual or testing instructions any more due to a recent court decision.

Then I may have to rely on notes and whatever other available things...I think I may go for a trial if there are flaws in notes or something...if not then I may just pay the ticket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:21 pm 
High Authority

You should still ask for manual even if they wont give it to you, for appeal purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:37 am 
VIP

Officers reduce tickets on a regular basis. I only issued full tickets to someone who talked their way into it. A reduced ticket does not indicate that the officer is unsure of the charge and would not be a 'positive' for a defendant at trial.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am 
High Authority

In Ontario the courts have allowed officers to reduce tickets at the road side, and if you take it to trial and lose, then they will raise it back up to the higher original rate of speed. This is definitely NOT a defense in Ontario.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:46 pm 

jsherk wrote:
In Ontario the courts have allowed officers to reduce tickets at the road side, and if you take it to trial and lose, then they will raise it back up to the higher original rate of speed. This is definitely NOT a defense in Ontario.

Thank you again. I will request a disclosure to see if there is anyway to find 'flaws'. If not, I'm gonna pay the reduced ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 pm 

argyll wrote:
Officers reduce tickets on a regular basis. I only issued full tickets to someone who talked their way into it. A reduced ticket does not indicate that the officer is unsure of the charge and would not be a 'positive' for a defendant at trial.

Thank you sir for your explanation. I will see if there is anything I could argue or I will pay the fine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 pm 

Got a notice of early resolution meeting today...worth a visit?

Thanks!