A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

ben1911

Help With My First Speeding Ticket

by: ben1911 on

Hello guys,

I were traveling West on the Britannia Rd W then went down the hill and stopped by an officer just before Ellesboro Dr and Britannia Rd W, he said I was speeding at 80km/h at a 60km/h zone but he lowered it down to 10km/h speeding and gave me $40 fine instead of $130, but he wrote in the ticket that I was speeding in a 50km/h zone instead what he said before that I were speeding in a 60km/h zone and I found out that there is a 50km/h speed limit sign 30meters ahead where I were stopped. It looked like the officer was already waiting at the side drive before where I just drove down the hill to catch speeding but he did not show me the evidence of speeding at the scene. Please check the attachment of my ticket for further information. My question is:

1/ Should I fight back in court? If I fight back, is there high chance that my ticket will be dropped?

2/ Should I request the disclosure or manual before the trail? If yes please instruct me how to do it?

Thanks a lot for reading.

Attachments
My ticket
My ticket
IMG_7494.JPG (239.03 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Officers set up at this location all the time doing speed enforcement. Usually, they're sitting in the same dead end street in the early mornings of a weekend or holiday.

The speed before the 50km zone is 60km. First, there's a sign that says "Speed Radar Enforced" along with a sign warning of the 50km ahead. Then there's the 50km begins sign. Again after that, there's another 50km sign before reaching the officers.

So you didn't exactly miss "...a 50km/h speed limit sign 30meters ahead" of where you were stopped. Not that it would matter, either way.

I don't know why the officer would have said 60km. It's possible they misspoke or you misheard. In the end, the evidence is written down and you can go by that.

The officer also doesn't have to show you any evidence when they pull you over. It's not his job to prove his case on the side of the road. If that's what you want, request a trial.

To answer your questions:

1/ Should I fight back in court? If I fight back, is there high chance that my ticket will be dropped?

A high chance? No.

2/ Should I request the disclosure or manual before the trail? If yes please instruct me how to do it?

If you're going to request a trial, then absolutely yes. There's no sense in going to trial and not knowing anything. There's plenty of resources on requesting disclosure. If you don't want to send your own, Mississauga provides an online disclosure request submission form [here] so you don't even have to email or fax anything in.

You wont get the entire manual but they'll provide you with 3 or 4 pages out of it.

Post a Reply