Stunt driving: My experience

Posts: 1

Stunt driving: My experience

Unread post by sdkan on

I was charged with stunt driving: driving 170 on a 100 kmh road (QEW). Here's what I went through:

- Roadside suspension: The impoundment cost nearly $900. Also, you need to reapply for a new license after 7 days, so you need to find a friend to drive the car away from the impound lot.
- Research on cases: Anecdotal evidence suggests plea bargains are common (at least in the 50-59 kmh range, to 49+). Apply for disclosure asap.
- Decide on course of action: If you wish to plead guilty to a lesser charge/ fine, aim for a plea bargain. If you wish to buy yourself time (e.g. if insurance renews soon), seek an adjournment on first appearance. Unless you seek a verdict of not guilty (perhaps for insurance reasons), it is not necessary to pay more for a paralegal. I also had to resolve everything on my first appearance, as I don't live in Canada and flew back specifically for the appearance.
- First appearance: Went to Hamilton courthouse early. After the prosecutor came in, I joined the line of paralegals who queued to talked to him. When my turn came, he asked me what I wanted. I said 49+, was firmly declined and counter-offered a charge of speeding at 70 kmh (s 128 HTA). This meant a fine of $682.5 (+cost, surcharge) and 6 points. As I don't live in Canada, I didn't have to worry about insurance premiums and gladly accepted the offer. Pled guilty in front of the justice an hour later, and the matter was resolved.

- This was a really costly experience for me, and I spent many hours in angst and panic and regret. Don't speed over 50 kmh.
- If you're dirt poor like me, it is possible to DIY.
- It's not the end of the world even at this speed. Be calm and deal with the consequences. You can do it.

OPS Copper
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 355

Unread post by OPS Copper on

depending on where you live you may have to worry about premiums. I just saw an article and 43 out of 50 states have agreements with Ontario that convictions are reported back to home state. Plus a few actually impose the same penalty points and suspensions on their home state DL's.

I cannot find the article right off.


Post Reply

Return to “Stunt Driving”