Licence Suspension Due To Unpaid Fines

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

michael_bolton

Licence Suspension Due To Unpaid Fines

Unread post by michael_bolton »

I received a speeding ticket a few weeks before I moved back in June. However, I had a lot on my mind back then, and I ended up forgetting to pay the ticket.

This week, I received a notice in the mail from the MTO that my licence was suspended, and that I had to pay the outstanding find AND a $150 reinstatement fee in order to drive my car again. Fair enough regarding the fine, but I don't understand why I was never notified of the impending suspension, especially since I just renewed my licence (and changed my address) in July.

Do I have any recourse here, or is this a case of too little too late?

Also, does anyone know how a suspension (due to unpaid fines) affects insurance premiums?

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

probably all about timing....ticket in June, 15 days to respond to ticket. Then court goes thru all tickets issued and checks who has paid and who has not, then sends notice to MTO about non-payment, how far is MTO backed up in the processing of these notices? In meantime your renewed your licence.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Not much recourse available, unfortunately. If you really wanted to get the speeding ticket re-opened and jump through all of those hoops, it's possible, but very difficult.

There's some debate as to whether or not "administrative licence suspensions" can be used against your insurance premiums, but the general consensus is that yes, they can. How much of an effect it will have on your insurance mostly depends on your insurance provider. It isn't out of the question to get a 50% or greater insurance hike, but that's not necessarily the case.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Radar Identified wrote:There's some debate as to whether or not "administrative licence suspensions" can be used against your insurance premiums, .

this is not an "administrative licence" suspension (ADLS). It is an unpaid fine suspension. ADLS refers to 3 day, 7 day and 90 day suspensions.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca