A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ditchMD

Yellow Speed Limit Signs

by: ditchMD on

I've been looking online without success, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help. I know that white signs are regulatory and are associated with a fine when disobeyed. I want to prove a point, but before I do, I need to know if yellow speed limit signs, such as those found on on- and off- ramps are regulatory, or if they are warning. If you speed in the presence of said sign, can you be ticketed?

Thanks!

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Only white speed signs are subject to penalty. Yellow signs are "recommended" speed only. There is a discussion on here somewhere and I'm pretty certain Bear backed up this contention.

I'd imagine the "basic speed law" (not sure of wording) would apply though... 80kph max.?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

I asked this question before and both Bear and Reflections stated that on/off ramps assume the speed limit of the highway unless signed by white speed limit signs.

liveontheedge

by: liveontheedge on

It would be crazy to enforce the yellow speed sign as it only says the speed without the word max. That means, if enforced, you nedd to keep your speed at exact speed posted on the yellow sign, above or below is a violation.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

White is the enforceable speed signs.

Yellow is cautionary/ recommended speed, this usually occurs on ramps, tight curves

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

hwybear wrote:White is the enforceable speed signs.

Yellow is cautionary/ recommended speed, this usually occurs on ramps, tight curves

And just like the YELLOW lines on the road, they are advisory. If you cause a collision while not adhering to the advisory your a$$ is grass, at least that's my take on it.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
ditchMD

by: ditchMD on

Glad to see that I know what I'm talking about (sometimes...). I took a look through the forum but didn't find the thread about this same topic, I appologize for the repetition.

Does anyone know where one can find the specific wording that says that yellow signs are advisory, therefore not enforceable? My supervisor and I are in a debate on this very topic and I need to back up my argument.

Post a Reply