A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

sound427

Unnecessary Noise Section 75 (4)

by: sound427 on

Hello Everyone,

Last week I was driving home from college in the sauga area. I drive a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo v6 which I've owned since 2000, I really haven't done anything to the car except tinted windows (not completely darken) and some rims, and Nothing Engine wise. Anyway I look in my rear view mirror and out of no where i see cherry flashing. When pulled over the officer asked do you know why I pulled you over ? I though I was speeding. I was wrong. Apparently she said that my exhaust is too loud. In the end I was given a $110 ticket under the above title, there was nothing listed on the ticket as loud mufflers. I've owned the car for so since 2000 and this is the first time I've been told this. I don't live in Mississauga but in the other town I live in for the past 21 yrs and driven my car all the time, I've passed numerous officers and not once anything has happened or commented about the mufflers.

They are aftermarket stainless steel mufflers,( which was not installed by me) and they we installed before I bought the car from a previous used car dealer. I was able to do some searching and found out who made them, and I think i found the right manufacture. Although I'm not 100% sure these are the exact mufflers, but they do look like them..

Now is there a certain decibel reading that is stated in law which a muffler is too loud ? I don't really have an option as I'm not working and I'm in school all summer long. I don't have the money to pay for this or have the money to get the mufflers replaced. Is there anything I can do ? The officer did tell me one thing was I can do but right after that "he/she said that he/she never told me that".

Thank You

Last edited by sound427 on Fri May 29, 2009 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

make, model of muffler?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
sound427

hwybear wrote:make, model of muffler?

Sorry I thought I posted the link.

Ok I had look under my car last night and saw the manufacture name on the mufflers it is called Vibrant. I did a search and it looks like these mufflers from the tiny picture listed. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=11

I think I'm screwed from the description. Although I haven't installed them myself. I would like to ad that this car doesn't have a single muffler system, it is a dual cat back system when I bought it from a used car dealer.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Here is a clip from the manufacturer of the Vibrant muffler

Feature Vibrant's "True Straight Through" perforated internals for unrestricted flow and maximum horsepower

HTA 75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler

straight thru muffler....can look completely thru it.

Here is a straight thru muffler, however it comes with a baffle that can be inserted....see bolt hole on muffler then it will muffle the sound.

Straight thru muffler with baffle installed.

Here is a normal muffler

Last edited by hwybear on Sat May 30, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
sound427

Thank you for your post.

I guess I'm screwed, as I mentioned in my 2nd post. These mufflers does not have any sort of option to put baffles on (ie Bolt holes). I guess I can try to contact the manfacture, although I'm sure I will get the run around with them. In some way this law kind of sucks.. What about the motorcycles, crotch rockets and even older and new cars which have allot of rumble when the the peddle is applyed ?

lazyboybd

by: lazyboybd on

I just got a ticket for "Unnecessary noise" while I accelerated from a traffic light and my tires made noise :S (Kitchener, Ontario area).

I didn't know this was eligible for a ticket! I got a $110 ticket, I'm okay to pay it, but does this ticket have implication on demerit points and insurance?

Should I appeal against it?

Thanks.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

lazyboybd wrote:I just got a ticket for "Unnecessary noise" while I accelerated from a traffic light and my tires made noise :S (Kitchener, Ontario area).

I didn't know this was eligible for a ticket! I got a $110 ticket, I'm okay to pay it, but does this ticket have implication on demerit points and insurance?

Should I appeal against it?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that there are no points associated with this offence. See the subsection you were charged with and double-check with our demerit points system table here. If your ticket's subsection is not listed, then there are no points.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
lazyboybd

Hi racer,

thanks.

Yes, I've checked that there's no demerit points for section 75 (4). I'm still worried about the implication of insurance (I'm with TD Auto), will it grow up next time for this or not. Maybe I should phone them and ask.

lazyboybd

I called my insurer (td auto) today and they said it's "minor conviction" and the insurance WILL be affected by this next time I renew :(

Bookm

by: Bookm on

It will never cease to amaze me that insurance companies can raise rates due to a charge that results in NO physical or property damage and has no risk of triggering an insurance claim.

There are many insurance companies who will forgive this one minor piece-of-*EDIT* ticket. Call around to lots of places and don't forget to give TD Auto the appropriate gesture when you reject your renewal with them.

Give Tradition a call in Sebringville. Ask for Bob Ready.

Post a Reply