Squishy

by: Squishy on

Haha, "Speedy Cop" :lol:

I'm not sure how he sold the idea to the Chief. Something about having to remove the rear seat on an '03 to get the dog in? If that was the problem, how does a basically 2.5-seater Camaro solve the dog issue?

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

You'd have to do some NASTY stuff to a Busa to be able to get away from that on the open road :shock:

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Sorry didnt see the link.

Anyways defeats the purpose do we really want officers that need to go that fast to catch a speeder?

I mean its one thing to catch a criminal but if you need some kinda vehicle like this to catch someone the speeds your going to be doing starts to become dangerous.

Anyways its one thing for an officer to go like 180-210 or something to get to an accident or catch up to someone but do we actually want cops like going 250 + down a 3 lane highway trying to catch some guy on a 1000 cc sport bike who has no intentions of stopping?

I mean if you put the lights on and he wont slow down he is not going to stop. Tryin to catch him with cat and mouse would make it dangerous for others spikes/road block would do better or set up cops on the exits to he gets into a more rural area.

Besides i heard cops are not supposed to exceed 200 or 180 or something in a pursuit if they have to go faster they are supposed to call ahead?

Does this also apply to emergencies (tractor trail crash on side of hwy, etc)

tdrive2

What do you mean?

Like a highway of cars driving at speeds over 150 passing on the left and moving right and left to pass, repeated?

Or a guy in a 1000 cc sport bike trying to run from a cop in some souped up muscle car and the guy in the bike is trying to exceed 250 with an officer in some wild muscle car trying to race around cars on a 3 lane that are all going between 100-130 km/hr.

Big Difference! :idea:

I have said this many times before.

Speeding like this on a crowded highway is very dangerous, trying to weave through traffic at 150 when everyone else is at 110 cause there is so much volume or cause people are blocking passing lanes.

But when the road is open in the middle of the night and your going 150 in a straight line, no this is not dangerous.

There is a big difference between speed, and a high speed pursuit of a criminal when the road is maxed out volume wise.

I mean sure if officers want 700 hp cars to run after criminals on the autobahn at 2 am go for it.

But i sure dont want the OPP with vehicles like this on the 400 at rush hour trying to go after some guy on a sport bike who wont stop.

It also bothers me people never refer to speed and the road. I mean speeding 50 over in a school zone or in downtown toronto at 9 am is alot different then driving down the 400 to barrie at 6 am on a saturday no?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

tdrive2 wrote:

Besides i heard cops are not supposed to exceed 200 or 180 or something in a pursuit if they have to go faster they are supposed to call ahead?

Does this also apply to emergencies (tractor trail crash on side of hwy, etc)

Every pursuit the air is "open" so units ahead can get in position

The "heard cops" thing is a rumour.

Most calls for service, I just keep my same speed as I was originally travelling. Only time I "kick-it-up" is when a person might get injured or an officer needs assistance.

So your transport collision example:

Into ditch- 1st unit is high priority, until it can be determined if the load has dangerous goods on board....and possible evacuations of the area.

- if a lane is blocked it is high priority response for all units.

Here is Ohio State Police answer to "crotch rockets". They have utilized a seized (from a drug dealer) Suzuki Hayabusa.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
tdrive2

Cool but bear do you guys have some sort of limit your not supposed to exceed in a chase or in general?

Squishy

by: Squishy on

tdrive2 wrote:What do you mean?

I mean, why do you assume that a 775 HP police vehicle will be used for rush-hour chases? Just because the potential is there does not mean that it will happen. That's like saying we should seize all cars with over 100 HP because they have the potential to go fast when conditions don't allow it.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

tdrive2 wrote:Cool but bear do you guys have some sort of limit your not supposed to exceed in a chase or in general?

We have to be able to justify our speed (slow or fast) when asked.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

hwybear wrote:Here is Ohio State Police answer to "crotch rockets". They have utilized a seized (from a drug dealer) Suzuki Hayabusa.

Ha ha ha, trooper on a crotch rocket! :lol:

EDIT: Wanted to insert this to clarify my second paragraph as a response to:

tdrive2 wrote:I mean its one thing to catch a criminal but if you need some kinda vehicle like this to catch someone the speeds your going to be doing starts to become dangerous.

If someone tries to run from a speeding ticket, could be many reasons for doing so. One could be just wants to escape the ticket and $$$, could also be that he just knocked over a liquor store or is a wanted fugitive who carjacked someone and stole the car. So, there is some justification in going after the person who flees... I'm not someone who has the training or experience to know when to continue or call it off, so I couldn't comment on any specific decision to chase or not.

Last edited by Radar Identified on Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tdrive2

Well Radar Identified we forgot one thing.

I heard the OPP will call in the Air Force in case someone robbed a tim horton's or stole all their doughnuts.

In that case you would close off the whole highway and call in the Air Force but i doubt anyone would try to hold up a tim hortons off of a 400 series highway. :lol:

But good point as to needing to catch criminals i forgot that sometimes people will speed for that time and are not just trying to escape the road side trial, thousands of dollars, and insurance increases.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Aerial surveillance is an excellent way of keeping the subjects in sight without putting other officers/civilians at risk. Even crotch rockets can't really outrun the OPP's C-206. On the subject of fleeing, apparently there was a police pursuit that began in York Region and ended on the 401 near Avenue Road after police initially spotted what appeared to be a street race:

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_34329.aspx
Post a Reply

Return to “Police Cruisers and Vehicles”