A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

FiReSTaRT

Pulling Over A Group Of Bikes

by: FiReSTaRT on

Let's say I'm in a group of riders and the cop wants to issue some speeding tickets and he turns on his cherries. Would the whole group have to stop or just the vehicle in the rear of the group? The way I see it, only the last person should pull over. Of course if he's persistent with the cherries, we can pull over in 200m intervals. If at any time the cruiser stops or gets far enough ahead, group members pull out and keep going. Any legality issues with this strategy? I've heard too many horror stories about a group being pulled over, multiple speeding tickets issued and the constable adding value by issuing tickets like unsigned ownership, no sticker on the back of the plate portion, plate angle, plate lighting, flush-mounts etc etc etc

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

kind of a catch 22.....did the officer write down the plate? too many variables. Did the officer comes up beside, has lights on and points you to the shoulder, that would be a different story and more than likely has recorded your plate on the dash pad. Did the officer get out of the cruiser and try to wave the MC back to the pack?

Prior to riding, have all your "ducks in a row". Have the DL, ownership, valid insurance all in once place and equipment in working order. Nominate a "team leader", who, if stopped will be the group's liason to the police officer. Probably a person with personality, humour and not a "smart" @$$ would be the best.

Once over my career I had to stop a group of MCs for a family emergency for one of the riders......how would that look? Call the family member back, sorry your relative would not stop/took off from the police.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

It does depend on the circumstances, but generally people don't pull over if a constable pulls over a car behind them, so I don't see why anyone but the sweep should pull over. Of course if the constable continues following the group, the sweep has performed his legal duty in getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle, can re-join the traffic and keep going and the next person should pull over in case (s)he was the one the constable wanted to pull over.

The guys I ride with are pretty good when it comes to proper documentation and equipment. We are aware of the closer scrutiny that the law enforcement community has on our community so we try to minimise our exposure to the legal system. One example is that most of us don't wait to get to our vehicles to put the sticker on the back of the plate portion or to sign the ownership. We do it while we're still at the MTO counter no matter how many dirty looks we get from people waiting in line behind us. And I've learned my lesson about double-checking my temporary slips before leaving my insurance broker's office. I got ticketed for a clerical error committed by my broker when the TPS (almost always the TPS lol) constable couldn't find anything else to charge me for.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

On a single lane hwy, I can understand your post and moving back in. On a multilane and the officer hits the lights behind the group, it is for the group, if rear slows and pulls over, the officer moves up stops the next etc....they are all required to stop. If the officer wanted the 2nd or lead vehicle, they would pull in behind that one on the multi lane hwy. That is just my feeling and very well articulated in my notes should someone not stop, or continue of afterwards.

I can not remember the last MC I stopped (not just b/c it was winter), but I just don't stop them. MC riders tend to be more in-tune with the rules of the road, are way more aware of surroundings. Most times I stop is to check their well being while already stopped on the shoulder. The MC's I want to stop, well they are long gone anyway, so I'm not going to jeopardize my safety for a ticket.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

Bear, they need to hire you to do training for both Peel and the TPS. That would be 1 Miller-tax that I'd pay without complaining 8) I'll go a little bit o/t with my examples (sorry FiReSTaRT :D)

Peel -- A group of mature riders (most of them had naked standard bikes or sport tourers) is gassing up. The cruiser pulls into the gas station and the constable takes out the figurative fine-toothed comb. Ended up writing one ticket for no sticker on the back of the ownership. That must have made his day.

Toronto (clubbing district) -- The group was livelier (bike-wise), but also parked.. So he started writing tickets (mostly for plate mounting, a few stickers/sigs while he was at it)... About 50m away, a physical altercation broke out. He glanced at the brawl briefly and went back to writing tickets.

Now back to the topic... So what if the sweep pulls over, the next rider pulls over 100m ahead, the next one, 100m ahead and so on until the group is strung out over half a mile.. Does everyone have to wait for the constable to back-track all the way down to the sweep?

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

I think the real question here is we already know your on a bike just how many cc is the engine :lol:

Just ask yourself?

Humm 3 lanes and 1000 CC.....

Just get off before the put the spike strips on but thats what the shoulder is for!

FiReSTaRT

It's a 600cc.. Good enough for some "creative evasion" :twisted: I don't do it though... I keep my nose clean enough not to risk anything than a minor violation. That's why I didn't mind giving it a custom colour scheme that's highly identifiable.

hwybear

Posting Awards

Don't forget, I ride MC (even just at work), maybe that is why I understand the "two-wheelers", at least the majority of them :D

FiReSTaRT

And it's good to have more riders in the law enforcement community. That allows for more understanding and less animosity.

I belong to some motorcycle forums and the threads about traffic stops usually boil down to 2 categories...

1) Where the cop is not a rider, doesn't understand riders, accuses a guy on a silver CBR600RR wearing a silver mesh jacket of being a Hell's Angel or thinks we're all a bunch of street racing punks...

2) Where the cop is a rider, everybody treats everybody with respect and there are no hard feelings on either side even if an offence notice does get issued.

I'm sure there are in-between experiences, but only the really good ones or the really bad ones are usually posted.

tdrive2

Cool bear do you guys get MC's for work.

Like marked OPP vehicles? What do you they use them for would they use them for traffic enforcement or speed enforcement.

FireStart i must agree there is alot of biker's that are nuts but you guys get a really bad rep on the road.

I would hope officer's are not bias, but the truth is there is some that aren't and there is alot of injustice on the roads beginning with 172.

Kudos for having the guts to ride one around the GTA. I also give the officers a kudos for doing the Job of patrolling the 400 series around the GTA. Dangerous, pissed of angry motorists that don't care or wont even move over when you put the lights on.

FiReSTaRT

As I said, most of the guys I ride with are in their late 20's to mid-30's, with honest jobs and a clear idea of where the line is. We do get the occasional squid that wants to tag for a ride, but we usually just make a stop and tell'em to get lost.

tdrive2

Ya i have seen a guy try to run once about 2 years ago.

I guess he was on the 407 and going a little to fast it was pretty nice weather and hot outside he must have been going a bit over 150 and wanted to take the risk.

I saw the cop and i dont think he saw her until she had her lights on then she was way behind about 10-20 cars and he stalled for a second then went onto left shoulder between the passing lane and concrete and floored it.

She tried to catch up but i think she knew he was gone and that it would be really dangerous and hard to catch up to him. I don't even know if she would have gotten his plates from where she was.

I have no idea what happened but i assumed he got off. There are some nuts on bikes but they give most bikers a bad rep. One thing that sucks for bikers is you guys get stuck with crazy insurance rates even though most drive just fine and not dangerously.

Some of those bikes have so much power. I wonder what it is like to drive a 1000 cc sport bike...

FiReSTaRT

Bill 203 made running much more appealing to quite a few otherwise conservative riders. It raised the stakes too much.

I've only ridden 600cc supersports, but the closest thing to a liter bike I've taken out for a spin was a 990 superduke. http://www.webbikeworld.com/ktm/990-sup ... r-duke.htm (I rode the 09 model) That thing had all of the punch of a 1000cc v-twin packed into half of the rpm's of my fourbanger.. Too much for street use.

Keeping up with a 1000cc gixxer was an exercise in futility though lol

viper1

by: viper1 on

tdrive2 wrote:Ya i have seen a guy try to run once about 2 years ago.

I guess he was on the 407 and going a little to fast it was pretty nice weather and hot outside he must have been going a bit over 150 and wanted to take the risk.

I saw the cop and i dont think he saw her until she had her lights on then she was way behind about 10-20 cars and he stalled for a second then went onto left shoulder between the passing lane and concrete and floored it.

She tried to catch up but i think she knew he was gone and that it would be really dangerous and hard to catch up to him. I don't even know if she would have gotten his plates from where she was.

I have no idea what happened but i assumed he got off. There are some nuts on bikes but they give most bikers a bad rep. One thing that sucks for bikers is you guys get stuck with crazy insurance rates even though most drive just fine and not dangerously.

Some of those bikes have so much power. I wonder what it is like to drive a 1000 cc sport bike...

I had a few of them all be-it older ones.

The old 750 honda would reach 60 mph in about the time it took you to turn your wrist.(throttle)

And yes it would go 60 in first gear.

I suppose the best comparison is it is like driving a race vehicle in with old VW'S.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

FiReSTaRT wrote: I've only ridden 600cc supersports

Same here with the exception of two RZ350, 1 was stolen and the next one blew up :roll: , since then only 600cc for me since 87 when the Hurricane came out, every 3-4 years I get new Honda 600, fX2, f2, f4i, 04RR and I just sold my 07RR, no job means no replacement for it :(

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
Post a Reply