Failure To Drive In Marked Lane. Traffic Ticket. HTA: sec 156(1)(A)
Questionz

Obtaining 3rd Party Information

by: Questionz on

Hi,

I was involved in an accident, but was not able to personally obtain information about the third party, but an officer provided an occurence number. Would I be able ask the officer about the 3rd party information (i.e. phone number)?

I had an accident on the highway and an OPP officer assessed the situation. After he wrote the report and gave me a traffic ticket, he also gave me a white piece of paper with the OCC#, location of accident, officer name, badge number, but did not provide 3rd party information. I also saw this officer give a white piece of paper to the third party. Is it possible that the officer gave my insurance and personal information to the third party, but I did not receive the same courtesy of having the 3rd party information?

If I was not able to obtain 3rd party information, can anyone provide information on how I can obtain it?

Thanks.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

The other person probably got the same info as you. It is rare that the info is put on a "collision report" while at scene.

Generally the insurance companies of both involved contact the police that investigated the collision and obtain the collision reports. There is a small fee to get a copy of the collision report.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

If you are fighting your ticket, you can request all this information through disclosure (and avoid the fee!)

Or you can contact your insurance company, if you went through them, to see what information they have.

Fight Your Ticket!
pinch

by: pinch on

When you are in an accident, are you required to give any information to the other party like insurance policy number? I thought giving it to the police was enough.

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

HTA - Duty of person in charge of vehicle in case of accident

200. (1) Where an accident occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

(b) render all possible assistance; and

(c) upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his or her name, address, drivers licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle and the vehicle permit number.

In some jurisdictions the police collect all this information for the accident report and tell you not to bother. But I wouldn't leave an accident without at least getting the business card of the officer who took the information down.

In Toronto, the police wouldn't come if no one was injured. You had to drive to the collision reporting centre. Not sure if that's still the case.

Fight Your Ticket!
Post a Reply