Speeding Ticket For The Driver And Not Wearing Belt For The Back Seat Passenger

SAAA1

Speeding Ticket For The Driver And Not Wearing Belt For The Back Seat Passenger

Unread post by SAAA1 »

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I live in Mississauga, was going to Ottawa to celebrate my parents 50th marriage anniversary on Saturday morning. Cop pulled over near Brockville area and gave me a ticket for speeding (according to him I was driving @136). I did not notice my speed. Back seat driver on work visa (only had G1) got ticket for not wearing belt.

I have been driving for more than 20 years this is my first speeding ticket. I anxiety/panic as my medical condition and the back seat passenger was complaining of travel sickness.

Any tips on how to proceed? I do not know a, b, or c of fighting a speeding ticket. Please help.

SAAA1

Unread post by SAAA1 »

Also, what is "witness" on the ticket. THe offficer indicated "no " in the witness section.

He has name typed in the signature section - does it has to be actual hand signature?

Since I live in Mississauga, could i request for an audio/video - and in this case, could I reschedule the trail date if unavailable?

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

"Witness" would be if, lets say, you were in an accident and the police arrived after the fact. The charge would likely rely on witness statements from those who were there. In the case of your ticket, the officer was involved beginning to end. Regardless, it's not really a big deal if it were marked yes or no even if it was in error. You'd still have access to statements if they were available.

A typed signature is still a signature. They refer to it as an "electronic signature."

You can request whatever you want as long as it's considered relevant. You will likely receive a copy of the officers notes. Audio and/or video is not something commonly available. If they don't have it, then it wont be provided.

SAAA1 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:35 am

I anxiety/panic as my medical condition and the back seat passenger was complaining of travel sickness.

I'm not quite sure what you may or may not be trying to say here. Are you suggesting your passenger wasn't wearing their belt because of travel sickness? Travel sickness is not an emergency. If your passenger was feeling from travelling, the next logical step would be to stop the car. It wouldn't be a valid defense, if that's what you're asking.

SAAA1

Unread post by SAAA1 »

Thank you.

How would an audio/video trial date work? I'm trying that the chances of the officer not attended is significantly reduced.

SAAA1

Unread post by SAAA1 »

I received a resolution letter in the email today. Basically, it says that the prosecutor will determine if an early resolution is possible to avoid trail. Any suggestion/recommendation.

The letter is vague - doesn't say if I have a choice to opt for an early resolution, nor if its mandatory to go through and even doesn't have a deadline to respond.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

This is normal.

I'm assuming the speed limit was 100km.

If so, the offer will likely be something like 15 or 29km over.

You can accept it or not. If not, you'll continue with your trial.