pruzhinkin

159 Km/h In A 100km/h Zone (g2)

by: pruzhinkin on

Hey all,

On Monday I was stopped going 159km/h in a 100km/h zone. There's really not a story that I can tell here, except for the fact, that I truly messed up.

The OPP officer was quite nice, he got me in the back of his cruiser and we talked about what I did. I explained that there obviously was no reason for me to be going this fast. It was late, I was thinking about other things and not really paying attention. None of this obviously justifies what I did. He was great, he listened to me and said that when it comes down to it, he will support me in saying that this was a mistake on my part and that I am truly remorseful of what I did.

My car was towed (thankfully we both got a drive home) and my wife and I will be picking it up on Monday. I will also be paying the fee to reinstate my license that day as well. The court day is not for another month. I am just curious on what I can expect. I've read over many posts to gather a general idea, however, not a lot of them touch on stunt driving with a G2. I've never had any other offenses on my driving record.

From what I understand (also using various stunt driving charge calculators), If I do indeed receive the stunt driving charge, my license should be suspended for 30 days (as it is a G2 license), my insurance will skyrocket and I will most likely need to seek out a high risk insurance and I should receive a 2500$ fine (obviously all of these repercussions can be significantly higher).

Does anyone believe that I may receive a plea deal for speeding 49 and under, instead of the stunt driving ? What should I focus on or what can I try for? If I do indeed get a time to speak during court, I want to be open and honest. Its a royal screw up on my part and this has been eating away at me.

Thanks for reading!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Whether you are convicted with Stunt Driving or 49km over, you will ultimately have to serve a mandatory 30 day suspension.

Under Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions, any conviction resulting in 4 or more demerit points is a 30 day suspension for the first occurrence. Exceeding the speed limit by 30 to 49 km/hour will result in 4 points.

If you ignore the temporary shock of not driving for 30 days, you'd be way better off long term with a 49km conviction. Don't let that dissuade you from accepting any 49km deal if it's on the table.

Whether or not that offer will be made available to you, who knows. Several factors come into play. Speed is usually one of those factors. Once you start going 60km+, that deal will start to slip away. Your issue is likely going to be the G2. As far as they're concerned, you're still under driving probation of sorts and you don't leave them with much choice.

pruzhinkin

Thanks for the reply! I've already come to terms that my license will be suspended for a month.

With my license being a G2 and that particular fact making it harder on me, well, makes total sense.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Ill make sure to post a follow up on Dec 15th (court date), so that it may help someone in the future!

pruzhinkin

A question I forgot to ask.

With my license being taken away regardless on December 15th (for the 30 days, due to the license being a G2 class), if I were to pay for reinstatement this Monday, would I have to pay again, once the 30 days of suspension are done? If that is the case, does it make more sense to not reinstate until the 30 days suspension is complete?

CoolRunnings

by: CoolRunnings on

And don't forget each day your car is at the in pound it will set you back another $100 plus taxes.

Had friend a few years back while going to school (doing his IT college stuff) get busted for doing 50 over and though he had his full G, his insurance company wanted $4500 a month to insure his Audi. But yeah he told me he had to pay the in pound fees for having his car at the in pound for 7 days plus taxes, and the fine.

It's a good lesson to learn. Better than losing control and crashing and injuring others or killing them. Kinetic energy plays a huge role in vehicle crashes, doing 150 km/h and hitting a stationary object the energy transferred is about the same if you were doing 300 km/h.

nmrch

by: nmrch on

pruzhinkin wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Hey all,

On Monday I was stopped going 159km/h in a 100km/h zone. There's really not a story that I can tell here, except for the fact, that I truly messed up.

The OPP officer was quite nice, he got me in the back of his cruiser and we talked about what I did. I explained that there obviously was no reason for me to be going this fast. It was late, I was thinking about other things and not really paying attention. None of this obviously justifies what I did. He was great, he listened to me and said that when it comes down to it, he will support me in saying that this was a mistake on my part and that I am truly remorseful of what I did.

My car was towed (thankfully we both got a drive home) and my wife and I will be picking it up on Monday. I will also be paying the fee to reinstate my license that day as well. The court day is not for another month. I am just curious on what I can expect. I've read over many posts to gather a general idea, however, not a lot of them touch on stunt driving with a G2. I've never had any other offenses on my driving record.

From what I understand (also using various stunt driving charge calculators), If I do indeed receive the stunt driving charge, my license should be suspended for 30 days (as it is a G2 license), my insurance will skyrocket and I will most likely need to seek out a high risk insurance and I should receive a 2500$ fine (obviously all of these repercussions can be significantly higher).

Does anyone believe that I may receive a plea deal for speeding 49 and under, instead of the stunt driving ? What should I focus on or what can I try for? If I do indeed get a time to speak during court, I want to be open and honest. Its a royal screw up on my part and this has been eating away at me.

Thanks for reading!

There's no use in panicking now, you need to make clear rational decisions. I found a paralegal to be really worth it, this is a really interesting time because the courts are dealing covid related delays so hiring a good paralegal can make the difference between getting a good deal and getting an average deal. Make sure to do your research, go with someone that has good reviews and actual experience dealing with stunt driving charges.

Even if they can't get a better deal than you would, they're still worth it just to attend court on your behalf so you don't have to take days off and attend court personally. This is going to be a long process, it can take a year or more to resolve your case if you decide to fight it, so try to live your life as normally as you can

pruzhinkin

Hey all, I promised to update once everything was resolved. It dragged out a little longer than I expected.

In my initial phone court "appearance", I was told the information on where to pick up my disclosure, as well as a new court date of January 26th. This time was given for me to assess the disclosure and potentially find a paralegal.

My disclosure showed a fine of 3000$ and a year long license suspension. This was scary. Instead of finding a paralegal, I reached out to the prosecutor via email. I put together an email expressing myself. I wrote about my infraction, my fault in this charge, as well as my thoughts and feelings following this occurrence. The prosecutor then set up a phone appointment with her, in which we discussed my situation. I was honest and open to her words and suggestions. Following this conversation, my charge was reduced to speeding 49 and under in a 100km zone. Which brought the fine down to 343$ + court fees and 1 month license suspension.

I'm extremely happy and thankful to the prosecutor and her words. This is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. However, by being open, honest and having a great prosecutor, I was able to come out a little better.

My suggestion to anyone in this situation is to seek an appointment with a prosecutor and being honest. I wish everyone luck.

Post a Reply