N2019

Got A Ticket For Stopping Where Stop Is Prohibited And Ticket For Failure To Surrender Licence

by: N2019 on

HI,

This is my first post on this website. I hope i can get some help and professional input.

Yesterday i got 2 tickets when i went to drop off my kids to school. Usually i just drop them at school and drive away. Yesterday i had to go to the school's office so i parked the car on the road on the back of the school for about 30 mins.

There are No stopping signs posted on that road with arrows pointing where it is prohibited to stop. Where i parked my car , there was a no stopping sign behind it with only 1 arrow pointing in the other direction. That means that where i parked my car there was no sign indicating that stopping or parking in this part of the road is prohibited.

When i returned to my car after about half hr , there were 2 police cruisers there waiting for me. The cop just started shouting that how dare i park my car on a busy road that has the NO STOPPING signs . I told him that i havent parked in the area where it mentions that stopping is prohibited. The sign said stopping was not allowed to the right of the sign and my car was parked on the left of the sign and also about 2 feet away. But he kept on saying that i violated the bylaw and didnt obeyed the no stopping sign. I am a very careful driver and i have never parked or even stopped for a minute in areas or stretch of the road where no stopping or no parking signs are displayed.

Anyways he kept on saying that i didnt obeyed the NO STOPPING sign. I told him quite a number of times that the NO STOPPING sign is pointing in the other direction and it doesnt mentions that i cannot stop or park where i had parked my car.

Anyways he was adamant to give me a ticket. Asked my about my insurance and ownership and licence. I had the insurance and ownership but i had forgot my wallet at home (that was just 2 mins drive from school).

So he gave me 2 tickets

FAILURE TO SURRENDER LICENCE

STOPPING WHERE STOPPING IS PROHIBITED.

I went to the court yesterday to use the Trial option as i think my car was parked where there was no sign indicating that its prohibited to do so. Thats why i want to plead not guilty to it. I also have a picture of that sign showing that the arrow is pointing to the right of it and my car was parked on the left of it.

As for the other ticket for failure to surrender licence, i know its a silly mistake on my part for not carrying it with me even if i have to leave the house just to drop off my kids to school that is only 2 mins drive from my house. I gave the officer all the personal information that was on my licence. The tickets he gave me have my licence number on it as the officer must have got it from his computer.

So please if anyone can guide me and give me their input on it. Was the officer right in giving me a ticket for stopping where stopping is prohibited even though the arrow on the sign was pointing in the opposite direction.

Thanks

N2019

by: N2019 on

This is the google map overview of the road i parked on. Its Charolais blvrd going north towards Moffat avenue.The school is on the right side and thats where i parked after the last NO STOPPING sign that points in the other direction where we exit from the kiss and ride for school.

https://goo.gl/maps/5EXcTzvqjazhqU7J8
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

What was the full charge written for parking ticket?

Did you manage to get into your car before getting approached by the officers and being asked for your paperwork?

Post a Reply