marissavilaca

Speeding Ticket 40km/h Over Limit - Guelph Hwy 6

by: marissavilaca on

Hello all,

I was looking to get some insight and advice how to go about the traffic ticket I received yesterday in the Township of Wellington outside Guelph on hwy 6.

I was driving home to Brantford from Fergus and did not realize I was going significantly over the speed limit of 80km/h as it was a beautiful day and there was no one on the road at this time. The cop, explained that he had clocked me in doing 130km/h in the posted 80 zone, he went through the penalty for this speeding charge (stunt driving, immediate licence suspension, car impoundment etc.) he proceeded to write a ticket and explained that because I only have one previous speeding infraction for doing 10km/h over 3 years ago he would lessen the charge to 40km/h over the limit making it a minor conviction. I would like to add I am beyond grateful and blessed to have been given a reduced charge and I understand the consequences of my actions for which I am willing to pay. It was a mistake which will most definitely be learned from, and I accept any of the repercussions that are to follow.

As I am still a G2 licensed driver (have put off getting my G due to school, have my test booked for August 29th) I am understanding that I am considered a "novice driver" and will be getting a 30 day licence suspension. I was wondering If there was any point of exercising option number two stated on the ticket "Plea of Guilty - Submissions as to penalty" in hopes of reducing this charge and/or getting the charge lessened to eliminate the suspension of my licence as I go to school in a different city and work in my hometown on weekends, this would make it financially impossible for me to continue to pay my rent, and tuition. So, I am just looking for any insight into similar experiences, in the Guelph or surrounding areas, what to expect if I do go through with exercising option number 2, or if it is even worth it since it was reduced roadside already. Thanks!

***I am well aware that I have made a mistake but I am only human, I am seeking advice I know I was going way to fast and putting myself and others at risk. As I have stated I am willing to accept what the consequences are, but if I could make it easier at my financial expense as a 20 year old enrolled full time in Biomedical Toxicology it would help a lot***

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

by: whaddyaknow on

Be advised that unfortunately the courts can't do anything about the 30-day suspension, much like they can't do anything about points.

As you say, you've already got a pretty good deal. The only possible way it might get any sweeter is if you throw yourself at the mercy of the prosecutor. In some jurisdictions this is an option on the ticket, called an Early Resolution meeting. Otherwise you have to request a trial and meet with the prosecutor beforehand.

marissavilaca

by: marissavilaca on

whaddyaknow wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Be advised that unfortunately the courts can't do anything about the 30-day suspension, much like they can't do anything about points.

As you say, you've already got a pretty good deal. The only possible way it might get any sweeter is if you throw yourself at the mercy of the prosecutor. In some jurisdictions this is an option on the ticket, called an Early Resolution meeting. Otherwise you have to request a trial and meet with the prosecutor beforehand.

Thank you for your reply, yes I have got a great deal. yes I believe the "early resolution meeting" you're talking about is the same thing as the submissions as to penalty meeting, where I have had a friend go in with a 40 km/h charge and they dropped it to 29km/h and therefore eliminating the 30 day suspension. I was confused because ive heard they can do relatively nothing but wondering if it was something that could still happen if I attend this meeting.

again thanks for the reply appreciate it.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

marissavilaca wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 pm

I have had a friend go in with a 40 km/h charge and they dropped it to 29km/h and therefore eliminating the 30 day suspension. I was confused because ive heard they can do relatively nothing but wondering if it was something that could still happen if I attend this meeting.

Having a ticket reduced from 40 to 29 is one thing. It's pretty common. Talk about having a ticket reduced from 50 to 29 is complete different.

Your charge has already been reduced from 50, which is the gift of all gifts on its own.

They will likely tell you to you take it or leave it.

Post a Reply